BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone here changed the orange/red instrument panel backlight to a different color on a 2005 K1200LT?

I'd like to change mine to blue.

I read somewhere that the 2005+ LT's had non-replaceable LED backlights in the panel. Is that true?

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,410 Posts
They are not exactly non-replaceable but you had better be really good at soldering surface mount LEDs. The guys over on the E46 Bimmer forums had a write up on how to do it on the orange dash in the cars.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
FWIW, I changed my '01 from "clear" to blue, but couldn't see a thing. Changed to red, and it's very nice. Blue just didn't show up well enough for me, but it may be different on your bike.

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
I put "Superbright" led purples in mine. I can read the clock pretty well but nothing else. Going to plan B.

Loren

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
jzeiler said:
They are not exactly non-replaceable but you had better be really good at soldering surface mount LEDs. The guys over on the E46 Bimmer forums had a write up on how to do it on the orange dash in the cars.

Thanks John!

In as much as I am good at R&R SMD devices (I have the equipment to do it), I don't think I want to hack into my Instrument panel circuit board for an experiment in color. I'll just leave well enough alone. :cool:

On another note, I finished the Jensen modifcation. It works amazing. I will be posting pictures as I did some things different than others.

Thanks for all of your help!

-Larry

1 - 5 of 5 Posts