BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After reading the instructions for changing brake fluid on the Integral ABS system, I have 2 questions.

1) My '05 doesn't have a split rear reservoir. Do the front and rear calipers both feed from that single one?

2) While flushing the fluid out through the calipers using the power from the pump, where do you refill - the rear fluid reservoir or the ABS unit?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
241 Posts
fastpapaw said:
After reading the instructions for changing brake fluid on the Integral ABS system, I have 2 questions.

1) My '05 doesn't have a split rear reservoir. Do the front and rear calipers both feed from that single one? The rear reservoir on the right side of LT (under the seat) is for Rear Brake Control Circuit only---bleedpoints at modulator unit.

2) While flushing the fluid out through the calipers using the power from the pump, where do you refill - the rear fluid reservoir or the ABS unit?
The reservoirs for the Wheel Circuits are on top of the brake modulator itself located on the left side of the LT (under the seat- just forward of modulator bleed points) and yes there are two reservoirs. -Modulator Reservoir Inboard---bleedpoints at front calipers
-Modulator Reservoir Outboard---bleedpoints at rear caliper
Yes the modulator controls the Wheel Circuits so bike has to be on and fluid will move quickly the more the levers are depressed.

 

·
Registered
Joined
·
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Bob.

So does that mean I have to have a way to refill the modulator or will the fluid from the reservoir flow through?
 

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
Joined
·
14,260 Posts
Look here for a start and a link to a nice funnel set up that I am now using.


Link
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,402 Posts
BeemerRiderBoB said:
The reservoirs for the Wheel Circuits are on top of the brake modulator itself located on the left side of the LT (under the seat- just forward of modulator bleed points) and yes there are two reservoirs. -Modulator Reservoir Inboard---bleedpoints at front calipers
-Modulator Reservoir Outboard---bleedpoints at rear caliper
Yes the modulator controls the Wheel Circuits so bike has to be on and fluid will move quickly the more the levers are depressed.

Bob, I think we need one of those neat Martini glass funnels that Zeiler is talking about.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
241 Posts
Blind

munson said:
Bob, I think we need one of those neat Martini glass funnels that Zeiler is talking about.
Yeah...then we'll likely drink the old distilled vintage fluid eh? Uh, oh...no can do. I'm already blind.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
241 Posts
Reservoirs

fastpapaw said:
Thanks Bob.

So does that mean I have to have a way to refill the modulator or will the fluid from the reservoir flow through?
Fluid does not flow from/thru one reservoir to another in any circumstance. Each reservoir (there are 4) has to be kept filled as you bleed. Jzeiler and others have devised several ways to make it easy or just keep your eye on the reservoirs as you bleed them to make sure the level doesn't get too low. A flashlight pointed at/in the reservoir helps you see better.
 
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Top