BMW Luxury Touring Community banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All - Currently on a trip in Colorado and was out riding today and have been dodging pot hole for 3 days. Missed one today and dropped the front wheel in it. Hit so hard both mirrors popped off, luckily I had the retainers on them, so they just dangled there. The front wheel appeared to be OK, but upon closer exam it has a dent on the left side. I rode it the 2 hours back to the hotel and it appears to be holding air and there isn't any wabble or vibration at speed.

Does anyone have or have a source for a replacement wheel? They seem to be pretty hard to come by.

Thanks -

·
Registered
23 Posts
EBay usually has several

Sent from my VS996 using Tapatalk

Reactions: Daskoterzar

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
Hi All - Currently on a trip in Colorado and was out riding today and have been dodging pot hole for 3 days. Missed one today and dropped the front wheel in it. Hit so hard both mirrors popped off, luckily I had the retainers on them, so they just dangled there. The front wheel appeared to be OK, but upon closer exam it has a dent on the left side. I rode it the 2 hours back to the hotel and it appears to be holding air and there isn't any wabble or vibration at speed.

Does anyone have or have a source for a replacement wheel? They seem to be pretty hard to come by.

Thanks -
Be aware that you need a used Front Wheel taken from a 2002-2009 model to fit on your 2005. When shopping on EBAY for used parts from USA vendors avoid the 1999-2001 models as the Front wheel will not fit on yours.

The Front wheel from 1999-2001 models are NOT the same as they had a different ABS system , thus different mounting point for both front brake disk. The proper K1200LT can be recognize by looking at markings on front calipers: if marked "BMW" you are OK and they fit any 2002-2009.

Officially the change was done after Build date 01/2001 , but there are few 2001 in USA that were sold with the later ABS and wheel. You are safer to look for 2002-2009 unless the owner / seller can confirm markings on front brake calipers as "BMW" (instead of earlier marking "Brembo") .

·
Registered
77 Posts
A hammer will get you home but I used a humongous vise and some soft jaws and urethane for the front wheel on my R1100RT after a nasty pothole rim strike. It absolutely can't be seen now. The dent was about 3/16 inch on each flange distributed over about 4 inches of rim length. A good vise is so much more controllable than a hammer.

A picture of your damaged rim would help.

·
Registered
108 Posts
I've got an extra front wheel I'll sell for 150 plus shipping to your zip.

PM me.

·
Registered
40 Posts

Thanks -
I have one but it's in PHX til I return.

I tore my LT down to the parts and pieces so that other owners could benefit from it and the fact that it wasn't worth much at the end.

I'll warn you that everything shipped privately is Uber expensive expect 75 to 125 bucks I sold the rear already.

You might find a better overall deal getting one from a breaker who has some arrangement with shippers for good rates

1 - 9 of 9 Posts