BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Looking at a 2004 K1200LT WB10555AO4ZD80819. What should I be concerned about, it has over 66000 miles, owner says it needs nothing. Guidance appreciated, I am looking for an affordable long distance one up touring machine.... Owner asking $4700

·
Registered
541 Posts
Welcome, You've come to the best forum for information on the bike. Seems like a decent (not great) price. But like you will find out-it's the condition and the maintenance that has been done on a 14 year old bike that will depend on what you really will get if you buy it.

You can search on this site for all sorts of help, and I would start with a google search BMW Northern IL motorcycle club/Kirk Johnson. His videos are the absolute best for this bike, and he's a great guy. There is one video that deals with exactly where you are in looking at a used bike. He goes step by step what you should be looking for.

As for the bike itself, 66K miles is nothing, don't worry about it. There are loads of folks with bikes many times that.

Use the search a lot to save you time on any subject.

Keep us posted

·
Premium Member
7,543 Posts
Looking at a 2004 K1200LT WB10555AO4ZD80819. What should I be concerned about, it has over 66000 miles, owner says it needs nothing. Guidance appreciated, I am looking for an affordable long distance one up touring machine.... Owner asking $4700
The owner is lying. Every LT needs something ALL of the time. >:)

The LT is definitely a long distance touring machine, but in all honesty if I was a solo tourer, I would get a smaller and lighter bike such as an RT or K1600 GT. You may not find a used K1600 for $4,700, but you almost certainly can find used RTs for that price. I would also consider a Yamaha FJR, but they have only had cruise control for a few years and I consider cruise mandatory for long distance riding. So, they may push the FJR above your budget, although you may be able to find some first year cruise models for close to $5,000.

Having said that, if you are handy with a wrench and enjoy working on a complex bike, then offer the owner $4000 and add the $700 to your maintenance budget.

First maintenance item to buy is a Clymer manual. :grin:

·
Registered
315 Posts
Voyager is right on the money with his advice. That bike needs new: brake lines, fuel hoses, coolant hoses, FD pivot bearings, throttle cables, clutch slave cylinder, crankcase vent hose, that oughta do it. If you do this work yourself it will run $1,500.00 in parts. If a dealer does it it would cost $3,000.00 or more. The above items will get you 50K + miles of relatively low maintenance touring!

Reactions: radar41 and Voyager

·
Premium Member
7,543 Posts
Voyager is right on the money with his advice. That bike needs new: brake lines, fuel hoses, coolant hoses, FD pivot bearings, throttle cables, clutch slave cylinder, crankcase vent hose, that oughta do it. If you do this work yourself it will run $1,500.00 in parts. If a dealer does it it would cost $3,000.00 or more. The above items will get you 50K + miles of relatively low maintenance touring!
True, assuming there isn’t a leak from the output shaft o-ring, or seal or clutch slave cylinder or transmission input shaft (my particular problem) that takes out the clutch. Then it is another $800 or so in parts or $2,500 at the dealer.

It would be nice to know the maintenance history and whether the clutch has been replaced and all relevant seals in that area. If not, I would definitely try a few 5th gear roll-ons to test for clutch slippage.

·
Registered
90 Posts
True, assuming there isn’t a leak from the output shaft o-ring, or seal or clutch slave cylinder or transmission input shaft (my particular problem) that takes out the clutch. Then it is another $800 or so in parts or $2,500 at the dealer.

It would be nice to know the maintenance history and whether the clutch has been replaced and all relevant seals in that area. If not, I would definitely try a few 5th gear roll-ons to test for clutch slippage.
Echoing the others, from my experience, if the brake lines haven't been replaced, they are due to fail. Not a huge problem to fix. Still a puzzlement why BMW used rubber lines. Stainless replacements are cheaper than BMW original. :smile:

·
Registered
4,254 Posts
Echoing what has been said already. The service history on an LT is of paramount interest as there is a list of things that are of concern and if already repaired properly, should all be in the PLUS column. If not, they are in the MINUS column as they will need to be addressed most likely sooner rather than later but every bike is different due to riding style and environment. The mileage is of little concern unless the oil has never been changed :) Any oil around the mating surfaces of the transmission and bellhousing and engine is a minus.

Major items of concern would be brake lines, final drive from failed crown bearing, clutch due to seal failure and contamination and fuel lines inside the gas tank and the male portion of the fuel quick disconnects if still plastic and not metal.

Look for upgrades like shocks, windscreen, seats and lighting, rear floor boards. Check the top case latch as they are pot metal and they do fail. No one is currently making a replacement so it would be a new top case from the dealer or ebay and then you are subject to it failing again as there have been no improvements. Check the top left and right corners for signs of metal fatigue. Pressing down on the top as you open and close to relieve some strain on the latch is a good idea.

They are fantastic bikes to ride and once you get past the major items should they fail, are fairly reliable although as Voyager mentioned, a complex bike. If you are decent at wrenching, you can keep costs down but all know, a trip to the dealer on an LT can easily go into the quad digits for some of those repairs. I have owned mine for 5 years and although none of those had failed, I have bigger plans eventually so I have just gone through all the items and done those repairs making the recommended upgrades to parts along the way. I had the time and money and like the bike enough to have just done it on principal. I can't say it wouldn't die along the way as stuff happens but I would get on mine and go anywhere and not think twice about one of those systems failing along the way at this point. That is a good feeling so service history and receipts if the owner did the repairs is important.

If you are close to someone who is already an LT owner who could go look it over with you, that would be a benefit. Maybe someone around Jax will pipe up and offer.

Good luck

Reactions: Voyager

·
Old Dawg
3,282 Posts
Too bad you are on the wrong coast, I am starting to ponder selling my 2005 LT with 33K miles for $5500 (and the brake lines were just recently replaced :D )

·
Registered
5 Posts
Coming from personal experience, I would be concerned with the ABS module. I believe the LT's ABS is nearly identical to the RS's ABS, which I have, and if that module goes out you're screwed. No one that I've found rebuilds it so you're either paying almost as much as you paid for the bike to replace it or tearing it out and going with standard brakes. That said, I love riding my RS and everything else has been solid, but right not I'm kind of stuck with a bike that has questionable brakes that I can't sell and can't trade in.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Hi all, new to the forum and new to BMW - former Honda guy.

Been riding for 50 years(started at 8). Just bought a 2004 K with 29K miles on it. Immaculate condition, no leaks, never seen weather, came with two Sena bluetooth helmets, passenger floorboards, fork mounted leds, rider back rest, chrome trailer hitch, upgraded windshield, upgraded rear rotor(cowbell), new tires.

Runs and rides like a dream. I paid $5,200.

I plan to upgrade very soon to Spiegler braided brake lines, metal fuel disconnects and LED headlights.

Can't wait for Spring.

Be safe.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Hi all, new to the forum and new to BMW - former Honda guy.

Been riding for 50 years(started at 8). Just bought a 2004 K with 29K miles on it. Immaculate condition, no leaks, never seen weather, came with two Sena bluetooth helmets, passenger floorboards, fork mounted leds, rider back rest, chrome trailer hitch, upgraded windshield, upgraded rear rotor(cowbell), new tires.

Runs and rides like a dream. I paid $5,200.

I plan to upgrade very soon to Spiegler braided brake lines, metal fuel disconnects and LED headlights.

Can't wait for Spring.

Be safe.
Sounds like a good one! Welcome to the KLT club. Too bad you're not in SoCal. We ride all year round. Meanwhile, you can read about all the tricks, gadgets, upgrades, and headaches people have had w/ your bike. With luck, you'll have no headaches until you're well familiar with your new ride.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts