BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

2004 K1200LT Stereo Replacement With handlebar controls intact

62K views 187 replies 39 participants last post by  Scimitar 
#1 ·
Like many on this forum and almost all K1200LT owners, the outputs on my radio failed one by one. Not wanting to pay huge $$$ for a replacement that would fail anyways, and not wanting to ship my radio to someone in Germany to fix it, I decided to tackle this problem head on.

I decided on a Sony BT5000 for several reasons:
1. It is my favorite brand
2. It has Bluetooth music/hands free calling
3. It has a remote input that I can use for the handlebar and passenger radio controls.

For a handlebar control converter I decided on the Axxess AWSC Steering Wheel Converter. Typically these units talk on the I-Bus and convert that serial data to a remote stereo input signal.

I got online to my local library and downloaded the schematics for the K1200Lt and I discovered that the I-Bus stops at the LCD display unit of the radio and does not go out to the handlebar controls. Instead the controls are individual switches that are interpreted by the LCD display unit and then converted to I-Bus signals that are sent to the radio.

Not to be stopped in my tracks, I discovered (after prying the manufacturer), that the Axxess module can be wired into the individual switches, assuming you put a different resistor on each switch. You then have to manually program the function of each switch into the Axxess module.

As part of the installation I removed the stock radio connectors (ghasp!) as it made everything fit inside the water resistant enclosure.

So here is my solution, drawn up in a diagram for anyone interested. The thing works great and I am happy to be cranking the tunes to Stryper once again while cruising down the highway.

Attachments

See less See more
#4 ·
Very nice! Would you post a pic or two -- and maybe a few more details regarding the physical install -- in the stingray?

#8 ·
#9 ·
Yep, coming your way this weekend. I work a LOT of hours so bear with me until I can get to take pics.

The Axxess AWSC was purchased on Ebay, but the newer version can be found here:

http://axxessinterfaces.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=197

Use an ASWC-1 and you can program multiple functions per switch, or so I am told.

The Radio is a Sony MEX-N5000BT

The resistors are 1/4 watt from radio shack or any online supplier.

#18 ·
I discarded the factory connectors. I had no plan to ever revert back to the stock setup, and it was impossible to get the adapter connectors and the stock connectors to all fit inside the housing. Now, one could easily put the connections outside the stingray if they wanted to. This stereo does not have a headphone jack.

#19 ·
Would the Axxess AWSC work on other stereo's?
I don't need all the bells and whistles, just a cd player and a radio with aux input and a headphone jack.

So I would need power and ground, output to speakers, just the simple connections?

Thanks...Randy

#25 ·
Very nicely done. it just took someone that had the ambition to tackle the job and get it done.
I am sure many will have questions on how to do this on there own bike. When I get there, I may ask too.
Anyway, great job. The video was great too.:dance:

OH, yea, I am a big fan of Stryper also. (Yellow and black attack, etc)

Reactions: JNW003
#80 ·
I beg to differ, Raymond not only has the ambition but more importantly is one smart electronics guy to figure all this out. You might as well discuss the workings of the space shuttle because I do not understand one thing Raymond is talking about.:confused:

Glad to have Raymond on board we need another guru for our fold, great job Raymond.

#26 ·
Great little video of the functions working... only 1 very minor thing I noticed... the passenger volumes controls are upside down to the function shown on the button... + was reducing volume, - was increasing volume.
But no-one can see them when they are riding anyway, and I think the +/- symbols on the passenger button is counter-intuitive anyway.
Great job.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.