500 Posts

Coming together.
The interface working flawlessly.

I need to make a video.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
11 Posts
WOW. I'm new here and recently acquired a 2001 K1200LT, stock radio works, no CD changer, no remote but handlebar controls work as do passenger controls. Obviously the radio needs to be modernized. (any recommendation? I'm a speaker kind of guy, 1000 watt minimum?) As I read, (i don't recall his name) but he pretty much started the mod, adopted a child, sold his LT, and moved on. Others have contributed and it seems moved on also. With high hopes and low hopes, I'm at the end of the thread.
I don't know how much interest has been expressed, I hope enough to keep production ongoing as I am interested in what you have developed. I am impressed with everyone's dedication to making a radio swap possible Thank YOU to all who have contributed.
Keeping the handlebar controls has me cleaning the workstation with the excitement of a new radio, now if only this item is still produced. I look forward to hearing from you.
with the site renovation, my browser, VPN, etc, I almost gave up becoming a member I'm glad I kept trying.

·
Registered
256 Posts
I recommend Alpine head units because they are compatible with my Ibus interface. Compatibility with others will take a little longer whilst I write the software.

·
Registered
500 Posts
When I bought my '07 LT back in 2012, the radio starting failing. First one channel, then two, and finally 3 channels were out. The problem was that the radio was overheating in the stingray. It had no ventilation.
Actually the old radio would start for some seconds with all 4 channels and then go to 1. I could make it work by opening the stingray while riding for a few seconds.
Somebody kindly sold me a stock unit and I made sure it had more ventilation without getting it wet.
For reference it's always above 92F where I live. All year round.

So, with the new radio, I wanted to keep it as unstressed as possible, and bought a marine Pyle amp. But I found out that it put out only 18W rms, if that.
So, I decided to go for sound quality, and after a bit of research, the internet strangely agreed that Alpine radios are the ones to get.
So, I bought all 4 Alpine S-S50 speakers, and the CDE-172BT unit. There's a 173/175BT, with some more features, but the 172 had 4V preouts with a subwoofer pre-out, and a 3-band EQ.
The 175 had a 5 or 9 band EQ and 5V pre-out, but this is a bike, I won't enjoy that level of finesse.

The headunits put out 18W rms, so, again, after quite of bit of time researching for the right one, I decided to go for the Alpine KTP-445U Class D Power Pack amp, that puts out 45W RMS. The speakers are 55W RMS so, that was good.

But, the glue that sticks everything together is the interface that Andy designed. It controls the Alpine headunit using the IR interface.
So, besides the volume (+/-) and track (fwd/rev) it also writes to the iBus and the LCD screen whatever the source on your Alpine is. There are other functions also there: Digital Assistant (Siri, Google) button, you can long press mute to pause, use the PTT if you have it, and change the source on your Alpine.

So, after 4 years of buying the amp (that I won't use), I finally got the stereo setup I wanted.

Now, I'm trying to convince my OCD that I don't need an Alpine shallow powered subwoofer...

The stock speakers cannot really handle frequencies below 120Hz. They sound crisp with the HPF.
But they get muddy if I turn it off.
So... trying to find the best place to locate a shallow subwoofer without butchering any panniers. Maybe in place of the top rack.

Hope this helped.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Now, I'm trying to convince my OCD that I don't need an Alpine shallow So... trying to find the best place to locate a shallow subwoofer without butchering any panniers. Maybe in place of the top rack..
For low frequencies, there is no alternative to moving air. You also need an infinite baffle, so there is nowhere practical on a 'bike in my opinion.

How about building a large subwoofer array onto a trailer and tow it behind you? That would be a sight to behold. :devilish:;)

·
Registered
500 Posts
How about building a large subwoofer array onto a trailer and tow it behind you? That would be a sight to behold. :devilish:
Ha! funny.
but seriously, there's got to be way to add some bass punch. Just a bit. These are toys remember?
I don't listen to hip-hop or bass music.
Just the good old rock and and 60s-80s music.
Someone here installed a big-ass subwoofer in the top case.
While great endeavor, not what I'm looking for. Just a bit more bass. Perhaps I could replace my rear 5.25" with some bass speakers?
Thanks!

·
Registered
256 Posts
There is no way to reproduce low frequencies without moving air. You can do it with long throw small diameter speakers or large diameter shallow ones. Either way you have to move air. You also need a baffle to give the speaker something to work against, else the air pushed forward gets damped by the vacuum created when the cone moves forward. That is why you need a big box. Amplifying the low frequencies just gives you a wooly incoherent mess.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Yeah... maybe replacing the rear speakers with something like Alpine SPX-13REF. They are component speakers. Some bass and they handle 40Hz to 40kHz

The S-S50s only handle 80Hz and up. I have the HPF set at 100Hz. And they’re happy.

I’ll think about it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
256 Posts
I have been working on the next upgrade for the Ibus interface. Using a Pioneer radio for the testing and I am able to send commands to it. It only has the very basic controls though, unlike the Alpine which allows control of almost everything.

·
Registered
500 Posts
I bought some 5" bose woofers from a car system. I have some, from my Audi A8, that I replaced because they were rattling at some frequencies, but was able to test them at lower than 120Hz and some pretty good.
So, I'll replace the full range speakers in the back and see what happens. Worst case, then don't sound too good or too much and go back to the full range.

·
Registered
256 Posts
There is now a new version of software for the interface which allows compatibility with Pioneer and (possibly) Sony resistive control radios. Kenwood IR will be a week or two yet.

I have also updated the display driver to allow the selected radio band to be shown on the instrument cluster display, as well as the source selected.

Next update will hopefully include speed controlled volume as an option.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Kenwood IR codes are now being added. I have updated the web page too, I wonder if I could have some comments about how understandable and readable it is please, because I am often too technical apparently?

K1200LT Ibus radio emulator.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Latest version of software for the K1200LT radio interface is now ready. It will be posted to the website for download in the next few hours. Compatible with Sony, Alpine, Kenwood and Pioneer.
Some bug squashing done and changes to the SCRP function options, it can now be used for switching of lights etc and displays "LightsON" in the instrument cluster.
Next update will hopefully include speed controlled volume options.
K1200LT Ibus radio interface module.

ajlelectronics.co.uk
K1200LT Ibus radio interface module.
Click here for more information.

·
Registered
256 Posts
The interface works by mimicking the original remote control for the radio so anything that works with the Alpine (RUE-4360 remote), Sony (RM-X211 or 311 remote) JVC (RM-RK50 or 52 remote) or Kenwood (KCA-RC405 remote controls) would be compatible. Pioneer works with a different sort of interface and has been tested with a DEH-8700DAB radio. It should be compatible with others too. If you have or want something not in the list, I can usually add it quite quickly. If it uses an IR remote then it will be easy, otherwise I may have to check some specifications first.

·
Registered
K1200LT 2004
4 Posts
hello,
sorry for my english but I translate with google.:unsure:
new on the forum, I'm interested in the interface for handlebar control.
I have been looking for a long time....
the control of the volume with the speed interests me a lot.

I'm currently installing a subwoofer in a left side cabinet.
with side opening under the passenger seat.
The subwoofer is an amplified Pioneer TS-WX210A

I'll put pictures when I've progressed in the work.

·
Registered
256 Posts
The option for speed controlled volume seems quite popular, I have had a few people ask for it which I find surprising! However, what the customer wants, the customer gets, so I am working on that option for the next firmware release. The module is designed for upgrade at home so that you can always have the latest version. I recommend Alpine radios, but if you have / want something else just let me know the make and model.

·
Registered
256 Posts
hello,
I have a Pioneer SBH-20DAB, do you think it's ok with the module?
I looked up the information and it is "hard wired remote ready" so yes, it can be controlled by the module. I always prefer radios like the Alpine because the IR control is more versatile, but the Pioneer's main functions will work. I have tested the module with a Pioneer DEH8700DAB which uses the same control method.

161 - 180 of 187 Posts