BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

141 - 160 of 187 Posts

·
Registered
256 Posts
Well, If it works...
Of course I’d like the production version.
But if that’s too far off. I can use your instructions to install the prototype.
As I have only had one other expression of interest, I am not sure that it will make it into production. I really thought from the previous traffic on here that there would be a queue!

Probably the best bet is to have either a prototype or I build you one to order. Installation shouldn't be difficult, if you can rewire for the new head unit, you should be able to handle this.

One issue though, currently it is Infra Red control only. Codes in the software suit Alpine head units but if you have something else that is IR driven then we can work out the changes to the software easily enough.

If your head unit is only driven by a 3.5mm socket in the back, then there will be a delay whilst I develop a "resistive interface" version. First step then is to tell me about your installation and your capabilities IT and electronics wise. Perfectly happy to do it by PM if you prefer and I will give you direct contact details.

·
Registered
500 Posts
It’s arrived to Miami.
Now just waiting to ship it here to Nicaragua.
I got the Alpine headunit and a D-class amp.
Soon!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
256 Posts
Jolly good. I have been watching it tracking around. It left the UK quite quickly and then appeared im Miami. They sat on it for a week and then it was sent to Little Rock for some reason? Then I assume they sent it back to Miami to the shipping agent. Utterly unbelievable.
Not an isolated case though, a package I sent to Sweden a month ago ended up in the Miami black hole for some reason. From there it has done a circuit of most of N.America with more than four stops. Strange routing n'est ce pas?

I have found a tiny bugette in the code. It doesn't affect you because the PTT function is disabled in your interface but it may give an unexpected mute if you press the SC/RP button. It is supposed to toggle but it only operates. Dead simple fix, I can send you the new software once you are ready.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Further development work is underway on the software and compatibility. It looks like Kenwood radios are IR and can be easily accommodated. Still to do are the "resistive" interface radios but I have the parts I need and it shouldn't take long to sort.

All I need now are some customers. ;-)

·
Registered
500 Posts
I’m advertising you on FB.
We’ll see.
The plug interface would be cool to have as well.

·
Registered
256 Posts
I’m advertising you on FB.
Thankyou. I will look you up there too, but if you see a friend request from an unlikely name, bear in mind that I use a nom de plume for my business ID which has R A as initials.

I have sent you a message on there.

The plug interface would be cool to have as well.
Plug interface? You are getting everything you need, unless I am misunderstanding?

·
Registered
500 Posts
I know I know !
Can’t wait.
I got everything already.
Bloody government charged me a $20 permit for the antenna adapter.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I am very interested in the conversation.

I got a 1999 K1200lt.

PM the information and cost.

I live in Port Charlotte, FL 33948 USA.

Thank you.

Dan

·
Registered
256 Posts
Yes I will draft something up later. Perhaps it is time for me to do an info page?

They are being built to order at the moment, so it can be customised the way you want it.

The principal use of the module is to enable the stock radio to be swapped with an aftermarket radio unit, as there seems to be nothing else on the market to enable that. The ones for BMW cars don't use the same key codes. My interface makes use of the factory display too, with the source being displayed as well as TRANSMIT for PTT etc if enabled.

For those people who have for whatever reason removed the radio entirely, the module can be used as a general purpose controller. That way the original buttons on handlebar and stingray can be used to control lights or whatever you wish, via relays.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Just wanted to pop in and say thank you for this thread, nice job. I did the conversion last year using the original diagram from this and retained my factory handlebar controlls.

Hardest part was finding an "old radio" repair guy with some resistors laying around. Only thing I missed was making a simple power on/off button for the new radio. However just turning the bars and locking them with the key powers down all accessory wires and will not drain the battery. Then when turning the key back on the radio goes right back to where it was before it shut off. If only I could make my dad's boat radio do that now, lol but that thing is a PYLE.

I was already doing the air filter, fuel filter spark plugs. Can't thank y'all enough for inspiring the confidence to knock this out while it was torn apart in my garage. Took about 3-4 hours and most of that was talking to people trying to find resistors, soldering and finding the right antenna adapter. Great job everyone.

Attachments

·
Registered
500 Posts
Thanks Andy for the assist and chat today.
I got my new interface, have the bike apart and will be doing as time allows the install this week.
Cheers!

·
Registered
256 Posts
First PCB is being built.

IMG_4945.JPG

Unfortunately I managed to damage the board but that will only affect resistive head units, IR will still work. Looks like it will become my test and development version. :) Processor not soldered on yet, I have to organise the housing first.

Software is being refined. It is now tested and working with an American Alpine radio with Pandora and SiriusXM on the display. Still to do is the resistive compatibility and speed controlled volume.

·
Registered
500 Posts
That sounds awesome Andy.
I’m organizing all my wiring as I only have a few hours everyday.

The Alpine units have an illumination input.
I was trying last night to find out where to get it from, but couldn’t find it.
It’d be cool to have that.

The speed dependent volume would be awesome.

Keep up the great work.

·
Registered
256 Posts
An illumination feed would normally come from the vehicle lighting circuit, but of course the big girl's lights are permanently on. The dashboard display illumination senses the ambient light but I suspect that the electronics for that are internal as there is nothing else that makes use of that feed. I will have a look at the diagrams though to check. It could be done with an external sensor if there was a demand. Small modification would be required to bring out an analogue input and connect an LDR to it.

Let me know if you want me to add that function into the software.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Andy

Not a big deal. It’s more of a gimmick. As the stereo is tucked inside the stingray.
The “resistive” interface could prove to be more “sellable”. There are some interfaces out there. But yours is the most complete. It writes to the iBus !!!

·
Registered
256 Posts
If you want to connect it to something, set it high to dim the display. You could also do that with a micro relay fed from the PTT function that you are not using. As you can't actually see the radio, I'm not sure that it would be a selling point. :geek:

·
Registered
500 Posts
It’s alive!!!

And working.

Andy, good job!

Now; if you want to keep playing with it. I might have some requests.

Need to put thing thing back together and ride it.

So, where would you guys install a subwoofer on an LT without butchering the top box that is.

141 - 160 of 187 Posts