BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Does anyone know if i can adjust the idle on my k1200lt It was stored this summer i took it out the other day an it keeps staling when i come to a stop I did have a dead battery before I charged it up to start it up is there something i need to reset to correct this problem

·
Registered
170 Posts
You can adjust idle via the throttle linkage. However, I would drain the fuel if it's old, put in fresh high octane fuel and add a good additive/injector cleaner first otherwise your idle will likely be high when it rids itself of the old fuel, and cleans the suspected varnish from the fuel system. You may also want to check/change the air filter while you're there.

·
Registered
4,254 Posts
If it idled properly when you put it away, you should not have to make any manual adjustments to any linkages unless something is now broken. I would do a TPS reset seeing the battery died. The procedure it to turn on the ignition but don't start the engine. Turn the throttle to full open and then return to idle stop. repeat 2 more times for 3 total, full to idle and then turn off the ignition.

Then start your bike as normal. If it is adjusted properly, you should not have to touch the throttle to have it start and idle normally. It may have lost its setting when the battery died.

·
Registered
315 Posts
If it idled properly when you put it away, you should not have to make any manual adjustments to any linkages unless something is now broken. I would do a TPS reset seeing the battery died. The procedure it to turn on the ignition but don't start the engine. Turn the throttle to full open and then return to idle stop. repeat 2 more times for 3 total, full to idle and then turn off the ignition.

Then start your bike as normal. If it is adjusted properly, you should not have to touch the throttle to have it start and idle normally. It may have lost its setting when the battery died.
+1

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
Does anyone know if i can adjust the idle on my k1200lt It was stored this summer i took it out the other day an it keeps staling when i come to a stop I did have a dead battery before I charged it up to start it up is there something i need to reset to correct this problem
I also have a 2004. My battery died,I replaced the battery. Did the TPS reset as instructed. It would not idle properly. Kept stalling. Finally TVA had to be manually adjusted by dealer. The tech told me. This is the 2nd 2004 he had come in for the same thing.

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
I also have a 2004. My battery died,I replaced the battery. Did the TPS reset as instructed. It would not idle properly. Kept stalling. Finally TVA had to be manually adjusted by dealer. The tech told me. This is the 2nd 2004 he had come in for the same thing.
Sorry but there is EITHER a miss in communications in the work done OR the dealer loves to see you:
The TVA (ilde actuator) adjustment is not affected by a a battery replace (or battery off for long time). There is only a mechanical adjustment screw (hidden behind TB) that does not vary with time unless bike has a lot of years/mileage. In case of wear (many.. many years and miles) the TVA can get a bit worn and slow to react.

The only "potential" cause in your case could be that TVA was already a bit off (or worn) and Motronic had "learned" to compensate. When battery is removed for more than 10 minutes (or ECU fuse) the Motronic looses these learned values. Doing a few rides should let the system relearn (no need to see dealer).

SECOND "potential" cause would be throttle-cables that do not let the idle stop click/close at low position - too much friction: in such case when ignition is turned ON, the EFI system sees the throttle actually a bit opened - it should be at idle stop AND rider should NOT touch throttle during start. Correct throttle-cables free play and proper cables routing is documented in CLYMER and BMW shop-manual.

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
Nope. This is the first dealer visit in 5 years of owning.Bike ran fine before battery problem. Did Tps reset twice.Rode for a week and computer never relearned.Dealer visit was necessary. Wouldn't idle.

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
Nope. This is the first dealer visit in 5 years of owning.Bike ran fine before battery problem. Did Tps reset twice.Rode for a week and computer never relearned.Dealer visit was necessary. Wouldn't idle.
Thanks for this update.... however I still maintain there is no such thing as "a TVA adjustment" UNLESS something was moved or touched on Throttle-Bodies. A battery replace does not count as-far-as BOSCH-Motronic EFI is concerned (when memory is erased). OF COURSE, I am assuming idle was OK before battery was replaced.

May I ask: Do you remember what they wrote on Invoice: time, cost and parts if any ?

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
Thanks for this update.... however I still maintain there is no such thing as "a TVA adjustment" UNLESS something was moved or touched on Throttle-Bodies. A battery replace does not count as-far-as BOSCH-Motronic EFI is concerned (when memory is erased). OF COURSE, I am assuming idle was OK before battery was replaced.

May I ask: Do you remember what they wrote on Invoice: time, cost and parts if any ?
Yes. Idle was good before battery swap. Don't remember what was on invoice. I just know he (Zak the tech said) this is the 2nd 04 LT with this same issue. And he's happy to see less and less of the LT's . He's not fond of working on them.

·
Registered
4,254 Posts
Yes. Idle was good before battery swap. Don't remember what was on invoice. I just know he (Zak the tech said) this is the 2nd 04 LT with this same issue. And he's happy to see less and less of the LT's . He's not fond of working on them.
James, I remember this post and according to that other thread, your TPS was adjusted not the TVA according to your bill and that makes much more sense.

http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/k1200lt/155930-lt-has-tps-problem.html

Quote from that thread.

Ok. #1) The bill reads... Confirmed customer complaint. Bike does not idle well.
Tried TPS relearn,Did not work,will have to reset TPS.
Reset TPS sensor.bike now idles correctly. Test ride ,all good. Req= 2.50 Fill 2.50
MC labor. $77.00 hr. $192.50
#2 The bad Idle started after battery change. Never got any better or worse.
#3) Idle increasd very little. Enough to hear it.

This is not a normal occurrence as batteries are swapped and disconnected all the time for one reason or another.

Reactions: sailor

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
Yep. That was it. All I know is it's running normal again.

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
Yep. That was it. All I know is it's running normal again.
JAMES,
I know you did not mean any harm in your earlier post. HOWEVER my goal is often to correct invalid or confusing info on K1200LT/RS repairs related to these issues.

Please understand that I am NOT trying to be right or to correct you... what I am trying to achieve is make sure members reading these posts now (on in future) are not mislead in a certain direction to fix a similar problem.

The TVA (idle-actuator) and the TPS are very different parts and have have very different functions. The only common link is they are both attached to throttle-bodies (TB).

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
No offense meant or taken.Why would I? You've helped me before and others also. I'm just glad it's running good. Just finished a 1800 mile trip. She ran great. Rode the hell out the LT. And the dealer was reasonable and straight up with me. And didn't cost me that much. I do believe it was a TB adjustment. I just remember Zak saying he tweaked it just a little at a time. Take it for a test run. Get back,leave it idle. Repeated again till he had it idling at about 1100 rpm. He didn't charge me for the extra hrs he spent saying he quoted 3/4 hrs. He spent almost 2 days on/off on it. Stating it took awhile to where he was satisfied.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts