BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have owned an 04 RT for about a year now, 6k miles and love it compared to my Harleys in the past. The K bike has me intrigued. I would be buying this in addition to my RT. I have owned an FJR and loved it except for the crotch scorching issue. I sat on a new 07 and loved it except for the 22K price tag. I am thinking of buying an 04 tomorrow, 24k miles, all the goodies including Ohlins front and back, tank bag, rear bag, immaculate and owned by a long time BMW K bike lover. I think I can get it for 11K. He just had the service done at the dealer for the 24k service.

Since I am relatively new to BMW's and don't know much about the K bikes, I am wondering if there is any known problems with the 04's, or any comments or suggestions. I have always had good luck with well maintained used bikes and don't see an issue with the bike, owner or miles. I bought my Rt for 12K last year with 6k miles and it has been flawless, except for a dying battery.

The reason I like the idea of two bikes is I have friends and relatives that own bikes but when I take some long rides they don't have the range or performance to keep up with me if I am on the BMW and they are on a Shadow or something like that.

Please tell me if anyone out there has any concerns about the 04 GT. I am going to ride it and make a decision tomorrow morning. Thanks in advance for your time.

·
Registered
4,905 Posts
If I was a rich man, I'd have an '04 GT in my 'fleet of bikes'. Although it can't compare to my '06 GT in just about any way, the 1st generation GT is just a special bike. I LOVE the way they look. And performance-wise, they ain't too shabby either. No real issues that I can think of, and there's plenty of aftermarket stuff for them.

If you do get it, post pics!!! :)

·
Registered
5,857 Posts
I agree with Joe ( cough, cough sputttttttterrrrr), did I just say that?:p I love the looks of the 03, 04 GT's.
They are not as nimble or fast as the next generation but they make a excellent sport tourer.

·
Registered
13 Posts
04gt/rt

I have Both, an 04 RS and a 07 RT, completely different rides, I love them both. The engine, affectionately known as "The Brick" is just that. Its goes forever. Sounds like a great deal on the bike, go for it! Dan

·
Registered
110 Posts
There was a TSB on the ECUs on the 04s for cold starting problems.
You may want to check that it was done because I don't think they
are still doing them for free.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Lots To Love

I own a 2004 K1200GT in Piedmont Red. It had only 1432 miles when I bought it. Getting a low mileage K-GT would be great. There's lots to love; some things to look out for. Love: smooth power all day, any day; great ride (like sitting on a cheetah; it just wants to run). Look out for: fuel quick disconnect couplers (2). They are made of plastic and break, replace with metal ones and never worry again. I spent two years trying to decide on what type of bike to purchase. I made the right decision. Rode to work this morning (29 degrees @ 6:00AM) and couldn't be happier. You will love this bike even with the tough ergos (sporty position). It took me several weeks to get used to the riding position but I really like having my feet underneath me instead of out in front. Windshield is okay, nothing to brag about. Plastic bits are great for getting out of the wind during the winter. Heated grips and seat - to die for. Good Luck and enjoy!! :yeah:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts