1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Price seems a bit high.

LT C - KBB for 11110
LT E - KBB for 12160

Pics are pristene and dealer serviced (stored). But the 13500 is too high.

How high do you expect is too high? Cycletrader is showing 15-25000 mile bikes for 12900.

I've searched but didn't come across one of these threads for an '03.

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
see if they will come down in price a bit, if not and you dont want to pay that much, move on, always other bikes around. The choice is yours.

·
Registered
4,241 Posts
My 2003 in March of 05 with 1300 miles on was $11,500 from an individual. Dealer prices then were 1 or 2K higher.

·
Registered
938 Posts
I wouldn't go near it with a 10 foot poll. With such low mileage, that bike has been sitting around for a long time. I bet the seals on the engine and transmission will leak very soon and that is a very expensive repair. Add that to the price, and you have a very risky ride.

I would look for one with more mileage that has been running.

I bought my '03 in '05 with 800 miles on it and sure enough had the problems that I had mentioned. There is a rule of thumb that you probably have heard: If it seems to good to be true, it probably is.

Good Luck but keep looking...

·
Registered
809 Posts
rglassma said:
I wouldn't go near it with a 10 foot poll. With such low mileage, that bike has been sitting around for a long time. I bet the seals on the engine and transmission will leak very soon and that is a very expensive repair. Add that to the price, and you have a very risky ride.

I would look for one with more mileage that has been running.

I bought my '03 in '05 with 800 miles on it and sure enough had the problems that I had mentioned. There is a rule of thumb that you probably have heard: If it seems to good to be true, it probably is.

Good Luck but keep looking...
What he said!

4-5 year-old bike with 1800 miles? Like a horse with 4 white hooves.

·
BMW Guru
8,469 Posts
I bought an 03 in May of 2007 with only 3000 miles. Those miles were put on the bike during the 1st year so I had been sitting for three years.

The bike now has 10k and has been perfect.

If you can get it for a price you're comfortable with, then buy it. I would ask to see some service records for annual services though. Fluids still need to be flushed even if the bike isn't being ridden.

·
Cooler on the east coast!!!
1,243 Posts
I agree in general with the group, lot of money for an 03' and yes your more likely to have some costly problems because of the low mileage.
Good luck with your decision.

·
Registered
938 Posts
Ted Shred said:
I bought an 03 in May of 2007 with only 3000 miles. Those miles were put on the bike during the 1st year so I had been sitting for three years.

The bike now has 10k and has been perfect.

If you can get it for a price you're comfortable with, then buy it. I would ask to see some service records for annual services though. Fluids still need to be flushed even if the bike isn't being ridden.

Mine was great with 10K also.. When it hit 25K, it started leaking from the bell housing seal. That was repaired and then the transmission output shaft seal started leaking...

I hope you don't experience the problems that I did. Make sure you keep checking under the engine for moistness, tranny fluid, etc. If it happens, get it repaired immediately or it could contaminate your clutch.. You may also consider drilling a weep hole just in case the internal seal to the slave cylinder starts to leak... It will save your clutch if you have the problem.

I wouldn't have mentioned it if it wasn't so common. That extended warranty sure saved me alot of money..

·
Registered
1,291 Posts

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
used2jeep said:
Price seems a bit high.

LT C - KBB for 11110
LT E - KBB for 12160

Pics are pristene and dealer serviced (stored). But the 13500 is too high.

How high do you expect is too high? Cycletrader is showing 15-25000 mile bikes for 12900.

I've searched but didn't come across one of these threads for an '03.
I would offer $10,000 and tell them why. Unless they include a extended warranty the low offer should cover weeping seal replacement etc.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
That's true too. I hadn't really thought of that. I certainly don't want to insult the seller by saying that it is overpriced. But this is a good tack at it.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I got my 03LTE from a dealer in Columbus Ohio this past summer for $11,500 with a one year warranty, and 21,000 miles. E is worth more with the GPS wired in and the cup holder and comm system. Service records are a must.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts