BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 03 LT's rear rotor (OEM) makes noise when going over speed bumps, slow speed parking lot riding and when on side stand while engine running. It is like rattling/ vibration noise. EBC Brake pads are around 3mm thick. So it is not time to replace them yet. (My 04 LT does not make that noise at all.) Any ideas on how to fix this rear rotor noise?
Thanks in advance...

·
Registered
4,241 Posts
if its a clunk or clank sound then its getting loose and needs replacement or just live with the sound. some have use filler materials to make it less noisy. I ended up having mine replaced with a beer discount.

·
Premium Member
650 Posts
You have what is called "the cow bell" sound. Replace the rear rotor and pads with the EBC unit. My '08 LT had the "bells" at 8,000 miles.
I was told, yesterday, by my BMW shop that the EBC units are hard to get now. Apparently EBC learned they should have been a higher priced unit.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What kind of filler materials and where?

mwnahas said:
if its a clunk or clank sound then its getting loose and needs replacement or just live with the sound. some have use filler materials to make it less noisy. I ended up having mine replaced with a beer discount.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
When replacing the rear rotor do you have to drain the brake liquid?

bblalock said:
You have what is called "the cow bell" sound. Replace the rear rotor and pads with the EBC unit. My '08 LT had the "bells" at 8,000 miles.
I was told, yesterday, by my BMW shop that the EBC units are hard to get now. Apparently EBC learned they should have been a higher priced unit.

·
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car
8,601 Posts
MattKas said:
When replacing the rear rotor do you have to drain the brake liquid?
No just remove the wheel, Unbolt the caliper ( use a piece of wire threw a bolt hole & to the bike to support the caliper) Then remove the 3 bolts on the caliper.

·
Registered
100 Posts
the bike I have now is also a 03 the older gentleman that I got the bike off of solved this problem with belleville washers some how but I'm not sure how he did it.

·
Premium Member
1,305 Posts
You've got time before the noise goes from annoyance to a real problem. Matt, call Omar (at MotoGhost). He replaced my rear rotor with the EBC after the old one rattled for an eternity. He's got enough LTs coming through for service he may have one in stock.

·
Premium Member
86 Posts
I tried RTV between rotor & hub, cutting a radial slot in disc pads, cleaning routinely and the only long term solution was Blue Brake Pad glue as used in auto brakes. I've run this for 3 months & with no noise.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The washer makes sense if it does not drop.

I tried Shoe Goo today. I will see tomorrow if the noise is gone. I did not have to take off the wheel or anything at all. If this does not cure the cow bell, I should probably get an EBC rotor. I am only worried about taking off the ABS linkfrom the original rotor. Maybe I should also order a new ABS link.

fh8932 said:
I check with some K1200LT forum of Taiwan website,they cut the 15mm washer to insert between nail and disc to fix the problem.

attached the the washer picture.http://www.wilin.com/chinese/08ww.htm

·
Premium Member
1,345 Posts
Heat the old rotor with a heat gun and the ABS ring will pop right off. Goes back on just as easy. It's a simple job and you'll be amazed at how easy it is. New EBC rotor and brakes will fix you right up. Relax.......... ;)

·
Premium Member
650 Posts
My ABS ring popped right off. Don't bother getting another you will not likely mess it up.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Shoe Goo works!!! COW BELL is gone....
I hope this last long time :)

MattKas said:
The washer makes sense if it does not drop.

I tried Shoe Goo today. I will see tomorrow if the noise is gone. I did not have to take off the wheel or anything at all. If this does not cure the cow bell, I should probably get an EBC rotor. I am only worried about taking off the ABS linkfrom the original rotor. Maybe I should also order a new ABS link.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Not having had this problem, Matt, where did you put the Shoe Goo?

·
Registered
109 Posts
I wouldn't expect the goo to last forever. The high temp RTV held for about a year on my '03. I now have the new EBC unit. Not a hassle at all to put on, either.

Quite a difference when you're going down those brick streets in old Amarillo...

·
Registered
6,424 Posts
MattKas said:
on and around the loose rivets on the rotor.
Actually the rivets being a little loose is a design feature, while beit a poor one in comparison to the EBC. for the floating rear rotor on the LT,

The good centering springs for the rear rotor look like this.

A broken centering spring looks like this:

When you get multipe springs missing next to each other like this you start to get the cowbell effect:

Notice the groove in the rivet to allow the spring to center the rotor in the caliper.

A new EBC rotor with the springs located between the hub and the rotor:

These photos were taken in October when I upgraded to the EBC rotor. About an hours worth of work including yanking/replacing the rear wheel. And in my humble opinion a much more forceful braking capability from the rear than I ever had on the OEM rear rotor.

The stop gap measure everybody is using is just that a stop gap. Over time I believe that the silicone will deteriorate and leave you with the same problem you had before.

<on soapbox> I've been in the computer business for 30 years worked on everything from the CPUs to the peripherals and my motto has been "Fix it right the first time." It's not failed me yet and I don't believe it will fail me now. <off soapbox>

1 - 20 of 22 Posts