BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a 2003 LTE. The navigator is in need of a map update. Called Garmin said its out of date they can't do anything for it. I want to switch it out for a Garmin NUVI 40 that will be in a water proof case. I would like to remove all the wires from the old one and hook up the new power lead. The question is should I just hook up to the battery or try to hook up to the old power wire that would be controled with the key and not always be hot to the GPS unit.

·
Cat Herder
1,486 Posts
You are in luck... remove the old factory GPS mounting bracket. Use the factory mounting plate and buy a Zumo 550 660 or 660. Using a Nuvi 40 with a water box is a PITA. There should be a rectangular metal plate behind the old mount. Use that on the new GPS but turn it upside down. You may have to make the holes slightly larger to get the new screws to fit.

I used the factory wire and cut the tip off and soldered the new power cord to that.
(trim to about 10 inches or less) When you have the wiring done just push the extra up in the dash.

You will need 4 long machine screws and nuts to mount your newer GPS mounting bracket. I went to a local machine shop and got all the part in stainless steel. Once you get it together a little bit you will see how long the screws have to be. (I thing mine were 2.5 inches)

The nice thing about the old wiring it that it is already hooked up correctly and will power the unit on and off with the key.

I will try to find pictures... I sold the bike

·
Registered
103 Posts
Sorta off topic, but does anyone know if Garmin still offers updates for the Navigator III?

·
Registered
659 Posts
I had a 2620 on my '03 LT and loved it. Sold it a few months ago after I bought the GTL in Iowa City for more than I paid for it (they're still popular). That old Nav that came with the LTE wasn't worth the trouble to even use it, IMHO. I'm not overly impressed with the 660 I have now. There's a 2620 on Ebay now that I'd be considering if I was in the market.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts