BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a slight mishap. Dodged my dog in my driveway and got overbalanced. Dumped bike. No harm done to bike or dog, but gas gauge hasn't worked since. I think the turn-over valve actuated due to the angle of the bike. I have power to the gas gauge but it travels from full when tank is full to 7/8 full when the tank is empty. I have not tried to replace the turn-over valve as I do not have the calibration equipment. Has anyone had a similar issue?

Also I get the brake failure/abs failure lights when I apply front and rear brakes together. I can turn off the ignition and it will reset with no further problems. I first noticed this with the first cold snap. I bought the bike from a friend in Aug 04 with 3300 mi. He had the 3000 mile service done but I he didn't have the brakes bled annually as recommended. I have not had them bled either and now have about 7500 miles on the bike. Does anyone have any advice for the problem or a fix short of taking it to a dealer?

·
Registered
12,165 Posts
Strange. Laying the bike down should not cause the float to stick. That usually only happens for two reasons:
1- Dinging the float tube with the filling nozzle when refueling.
2- Clogged cannister/vent line, causing vacuum to suck the tank sides in.

There have been a LOT of dropped LTs, but fuel gage level normally does not suffer from that. Really curious to find out what the results of yours ends up being.

You can check the sending unit tube pretty easily. Just make sure the fuel level is below it's opening, and remove it to inspect the tube to insure it has not been bent in. It is the large angled plate to the rear of the turn over valve, on the right side of the tank.

The turn over valve has no connection to the sending unit, so that is not your problem.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Easy to check

I recently had the canister problem dave eluded to and my fuel gauge would not drop below 1/3 tank. Removed tupperware and stingray to access guage. Removed 6 screws and had guage out. sure enough it was dented in. Drilled small 1/8" hole in dent and inserted the smallest allen wrench i had to pull dent out. (be careful to make sure that all drill spurs have been removed and not caught in tube). Fixed, tested and reinstalled. About 30 minutes (not including 40 minutes for tupperware and other trim).

Not heard of anyone with the drop problem causing the dent, so maybe it really happened during refuel and maybe just coincidence that the dropping of the bike happened near the refuel.

Best of luck but save yourself the cost of purchasing a guage, mine has worked great since the fix.

chris

·
Registered
878 Posts
As far as the ABS light go, the most likely cause is that one of the brake fluid reservoirs is low on fluid. In my limited experience, likely the rear reservoir.
The times that I have seen this, the fluid did not look like it was low but the lights always stopped after topping off the brake fluid.

Since I have big hands, I had to remove two screws on the right side tupperware to get to the the reservoir caps. I used a drinking straw to top mine off and managed to not spill any of the fluid.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Brake lights blinking

I checked the rear fluid and it was a little low. I added fluid to front and rear, but still get the failure lights. This happens when air temperature is below approximately 65 F. Above that temperature I have no problems with brake failure lights. I am still investigating problem.

·
Registered
5,408 Posts
cageo2737 said:
I checked the rear brake fluid and was a little low. Added dot 4 to both front and rear. Still experiencing brake failure lights when temperature is below 60 to 65 F. As long as the temp is above no blinky. I'm still investigating.
BTDT with the lights only coming on in cool temps. Add more fluid -- at least to the max line. Yeah, I know, between min and max *should* be sufficient :) -- but fact is the float switch just doesn't go down to the min level before making contact. Right now you're on the "knife edge" of triggering the float switch, and the contraction of the fluid as temps drop is enough to trigger it. Eventually as your pads wear, the level will drop far enough that the lights will blink at all temps, not just when cool.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts