BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have reached the point where improved sound from my iPod outweighs the broken bodywork so while I am ready to put an FM modulator and splice in the needed power I would be just as happy (perhaps even happier) if I could use the BMW AUX input cable. Does the radio on the 2003 have an AUX input on the back? I have the single CD and never had the 6 disc changer. I know I could take all the plastic off myself but I would like to know what parts I need before starting the process.

·
Premium Member
2011 R1200RT
8,163 Posts
Yes, there is an AUX port in the back of the radio, and you will need a specific BMW cable to connect to it (sorry I don't have the part number handy).
There is an issue you need to know about is that the input is not amplified so you will need a small in-line amp between your iPod and the radio input cable.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the assistance. I know I need a cable from a 3 series, I'll hunt about for it and see what I find.

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
I think this is the part # 82 11 0 149 389. If I remember correct I paid about $35 for it at the dealer. It is for a car not a bike, but it works.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you for the part number. Have you been happy with the sound you get from using this? I'd love to hear from you how well it worked (in fact how it works period) and whether you needed an inline amplifier to go with the AUX cable.

·
Premium Member
148 Posts
markc said:
Thank you for the part number. Have you been happy with the sound you get from using this? I'd love to hear from you how well it worked (in fact how it works period) and whether you needed an inline amplifier to go with the AUX cable.
Mark, I have a 2009 LT so I don't know if it makes a difference to your 2003 but I did the cable to the AUX connection and with my iPod I needed some addition power out of it to hear it. I use a Boosteroo Revolution. I had the Original Boosteroo but I wanted some more power and got their new one and it only uses 2 AAAA.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Are the cables still in the sidecase for the CD changer? If so, you can get an adapter to hook the IPOD up there, and the sound is great.

·
Registered
11 Posts
What cable do you use to hook up the I-Pod in the saddlebag case? Does it plug into the existing two plugs? . . . . Digger

·
Registered
36 Posts
I got a blitzsafe adapter that I used to hook up my satellite radio so I didn't have to use the FM modulator. It plugged right into the wires that the CD changer was plugged into. I believe that they make an adapter for Ipods as well. I don't recall which one is used for the LT, since they are listed for BMW autos, but contacting them will solve that problem. They were very helpful with me.

http://www.blitzsafe.com/

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
You do need an in line amp with the ipod or you will have to crank it way up and then if you change to another mode you will blow you ears out.

·
Premium Member
1,305 Posts
I have the CD radio with AUX cable. My old ipod (sorry I don't know what generation, 20Gb drive and B&W display) didn't need a booster, but my newer one (80GB, color display) is barely audible without a boost. I've stopped using the AUX and route everything through the Starcom intercom. No boosters needed.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Just a minor question.

Arent newer Ipods set up with a lower volumrange than the older ones?

I think i read something about that Aplle lowered the range for volumeoutput on the Ipods, due to the posibilities for lawsuits due to broken hearing caused by the Ipod device.

As far as I know there could be a fix around the limitations set by Mr Jobs on the Ipd.

am i right/wrong here? :confused:

·
Registered
349 Posts
I volume setting limit is selectable. Kind of a parental control. I believe it is off by default.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Thats true and i knew that.

But the range from within you can set your own limitations (phew what a sentence) is narrower on newer models, or US models... I think....

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well, I got the cable from the dealer and, after 7 hours of work, I did get it connected and it does actually work. I do have three screws left over and I cannot get my j-pegs put back on. This is certainly the last time I ever do something like this.

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
Do you have a part number or a name for the adapter that you got? And when you say "dealer" was that a BMW M/C dealer?

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
fpmlt said:
Do you have a part number or a name for the adapter that you got? And when you say "dealer" was that a BMW M/C dealer?
The part number is 82 11 0 149 389. It is the AUX Input Cable for the 3-series cars. I was lucky that the dealer had it in stock, I guess it can be somewhat hard to find. The parts folk at the BMW motorcycle dealers looked at my like I had suddenly started speaking Mandarin when I asked for this.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts