BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My '03 K1200LT has 65,000 miles. Bought from a dealer with no warrenty a month ago. After 500 miles of riding, there is a problem with the brakes. A couple days ago, After a stop, the bike didn't want to move. I could tell the brakes were hanging - felt like the fronts. I squeezed the brake lever about six times, and felt the brakes release. The red triangle warning light lit, and stayed on. No other warning light. About 10 miles down the road, I braked lightly while driving, and felt the brakes hang. I kept the bike rolling at 50 mph, and squeezed the brake lever rapidly. That cleared the hangining. Parked the bike for about an hour, and drove 20 miles home with no issues, no triangle light. Today, everything was fine until I pulled the clutch in to start shifting down for a stop sign. The brakes activated by themselves - big drag but never touched the levers. I squeezed the brake lever rapidily, and it cleared up. Red warnng triangle again. No other warning light.

The previous owner put SS lines on front and back. I'm trying to figure out what is causing this. From what I've seen on this forum - it could be a couple things. I don't have a code reader handy.

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
13,781 Posts
Could be some air in the control lines and as they warm up they are applying pressure to the servo unit. Two things cause the brake servos to run; 1. Brake pressure in the control line, 2. Activation of one of the brake switches (lever or foot pedal). Since there were SS lines put on I would first do a good bleed of the system but be sure you understand it before you try it as there are two separate circuits for both the front and the rear. Check out the video here done by Kirk. Although it is just a flush and not a full bleed the techniques are the same.

Also the ABS is oriented vertical on yours and the reservoirs are off the ABS unit. Front half is shared between the rear control and rear wheel circuits, the back half is for the front wheel circuit.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,665 Posts
I've seen a pebble jam in the rear brake arm causing trouble.

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
I've seen a pebble jam in the rear brake arm causing trouble.
Funny I was going to say the same thing, but thought better of it. I too have seen this. The dealer freighted it back 5 hours to workshop under warranty, flicked the stone out then sent back to owner another 5 hours. :grin:

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Interesting follow up. I had a hunch that it's going to need the brakes bled. The stainless lines looked relatively new. When I had the hanging, I was using both brakes. I've ridden four days with only using the front. No problems. My guess is that the rear integral system needs bleeding.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts