BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for some experienced advice...

I will give more detail than probably necessary--- but it can't hurt.

I took the bike out today and everything was going fine. I parked at a store for a while. When I started it to leave the normal Break Failure light flashed, but it never went out and then flashed fast, and the "!" light also come on.

I was able to break---but it was very weak, like the hydraulics were off. I was going to limp the bike home--going slow with flashers.
At the 1st light- I decided to "Re-boot" the bike--like a computer.

I shut off the bike and re-started it. The normal Brake Failure light flashed until I drove about 5 feet (normal) and went out and everything seemed fine. I drove for about 20 min, stopped for gas and everything was still normal.

Any ideas?

Is it suggestive of a major fail in the near future?

I changed the rear brakes about 4 months ago.. and are working fine.

My Front Brakes are getting thin and I will be replacing them. I figured I'd ask here for advice.

Thanks In advance.

Gary DZ

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,593 Posts
When was the last time a full brake fluid flush was performed? They are due every two years regardless of mileage. If the answer is I don't know and you have had the bike for more than two years then do it or get it done. Crud builds up very quickly in this low volume system so a flush can be a lifesaver.

Reactions: Patric

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I had a full service--- all fluids at a shop that has a BMW OBD computer about 18 months ago.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I am going to replace the Front Pads.. and see if it happens again.

I put these on the front...EBC Brakes FA304HH Disc Brake Pad Set

What are the pads for the front?

Do I need to order 2 sets? There are 2.

Is there a good walk through for changing the front brakes on the K1200LT.

The front calipers look a little different...

I did the rear--- and it was the easiest brakes I have ever done.

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,593 Posts
The fronts are easy too. Just remove the anti-rattle spring plate with the two 3 mm Allens, pull the retaining clip and slide the rod out. Use the old pads to push back the pistons after you have cleaned the gunk off them. Take a look at the rear half of the fluid reservoir and watch for overflow as you push the pads back.

Attachments

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks... the pictures and advice.

I wasn't sure if I needed to remove the caliper.

I know about the cotter pin, is there any trick in getting the pin in goes in out?

Tap it out from the inner side to out, through space in the wheel? I do not think there was anything to grab hold of it.

Not at the bike now.

Also, do you recommend any specific brand? I used EBC Brakes FA304HH on the rear.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts