BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2003 K1200LT
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, first time on your site. Read several posts, but still need clarification on bleeding brake system on my 2003 K1200LT.
This year must be unique, manual is not specific so I attached pic of ABS unit.
Just looking to replace fluid, dark and has not been changed in several years. Kirks videos from Illinois BMW are great, but were not specific to this bike. Any help of directions to videos would be greatly appreciated.
JW

Attachments

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
13,914 Posts
His video here is the correct one;

·
Registered
683 Posts
Do you already have the upgraded brake lines or do you still have the original brake lines? Replacing the fluid is a great time to make the change. I put the Spiegler's on my bike last year and they have been great. I can take them off and sell you the set for $125 + shipping (I am parting out the bike).

·
Registered
2003 K1200LT
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
His video here is the correct one;

This is perfect! Really appreciate your help with this. Flush went well, back together and working great.
Now I can get back to riding in the day and sleeping at night...
Thank you!!!

·
Registered
2003 K1200LT
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Do you already have the upgraded brake lines or do you still have the original brake lines? Replacing the fluid is a great time to make the change. I put the Spiegler's on my bike last year and they have been great. I can take them off and sell you the set for $125 + shipping (I am parting out the bike).
Riding a 2003 and pretty sure these are original lines. Did I miss a bulletin about upgrading or issues with existing. So far, they are holding together, just needed to flush the fluid.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Riding a 2003 and pretty sure these are original lines. Did I miss a bulletin about upgrading or issues with existing. So far, they are holding together, just needed to flush the fluid.
Old original rubber brake lines can break down inside and really mess things up. I replaced my 2003 lines with Spiegler's and they are great. Guitarjim is selling you those for about half price. Highly recommend changing to steel braided at some point if you plan on riding and keeping the LT.

·
Registered
2003 K1200LT
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Quitarjim,
What color are your brake lines and fittings? They are for 2003 model with ABS correct?
Thx

·
Registered
460 Posts
We highly recommend replacing the original brake lines. Mine is an 05 and my fluid was like the color of coke and had little black particles in it. As the guys have said they can break down internally while looking fine from the outside. I changed mine to steel braded and it's worth it for piece of mind if nothing else. You ABS is an expensive item and it will be affected by degrading brake lines.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts