BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I HAD A BITch of a time getting the damaged swingarm out.. I ended up jacking up the abs tray and loosening the exhaust studs/nuts to move the muffler over in order to squeeze the left side of the swingarm past the ABS tray nut holder.. Is that the easiest way?

also, on installation of the replacement swingarm, I lubed the front boot and the transmission lip then pushed the swingarm all the way forward and wiggled it left and right but the boot did not engage around the transmission lip to make a seal..

ideas?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
knock knock, is this thing on? I had posted in Kbikes.com and without any love figured this might be the better forum for my "old" bike (2003 is new to me). anyway, seems I was just tired that day because yesterday I hit it fresh and pushed the boot on with my finders and a screw driver. still seems like it should be easier.. and tightening the floating rear left journal to 7NM and locking to 100 (or whatever because I didn't use a torque wrench for that one), seemed like I might have overtightened the 7nM. riding last night it seemed a little "sticky" on and off the throttle (just a very brief ride around the block). Is there a tell taletale sign for this being over torqued?? It's not like the front where you can check mobility in the joint. might the temperature rise above the rest of the swingarm after a brief ride and before I melt it down??

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,603 Posts
I have never done a K1200GT but I have done several LTs. Never had the clearance issue you listed with the ABS tray. Maybe you had a few pictures?

7 Nm is not very much and it is just at "snug". It is critical to hold that (or at least find a way to mark it so you can see if it moved) with a 12 mm Allen when you tighten the lock nut. Easy to make a socket with a window cut in it for the Allen. I suggest you re-do that and see if it makes a difference. And yes using a torque wrench is also essential. Even a cheap HF unit is better than nothing.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Jzeiler..

Sounds right I'm going to reset that 7nM torque to just snug when I get my replacement wheel next week. I'm guessing a little lose is better then over tight..

thanks!
and BTW, is this forum for the K1200GT or more just for the LT model?? am I better to post in K-Bikes.com??

·
Premium Member
226 Posts
I have one of those cut out sockets if it's the same size as the one for a KLT. I'll take a look at my 2004 KGT to make sure. You can PM me if interested and if you're close to where I live, I'll let you borrow it..... Haven't used it since I replaced my clutch and components back in 2011-12......

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,603 Posts
Thanks Jzeiler..

Sounds right I'm going to reset that 7nM torque to just snug when I get my replacement wheel next week. I'm guessing a little lose is better then over tight..

thanks!
and BTW, is this forum for the K1200GT or more just for the LT model?? am I better to post in K-Bikes.com??
It is a mixed bag, given the similarities between the GT and LT of this era you will find good info here but not a lot of GT users hang out here. K Bikes .com or I-BMW.com (my favorite) may be a better choice as I go there a lot for my K1300GT.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts