BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Question for the group....

I looked at a 2003 K1200GT yesterday with only 14,000 original miles. Unfortunately, the bike had not been maintained, was dropped previously, and had a few other issues. The one thing which worried me the most was the fact that the triangle warning light, on the dash, was red all the time while the bike was running. No other warning lights were lit, just this one...on solid (not flashing).

I don't have my manuals handy (for my 2003 K1200RS) so I am not sure how big a deal this may be...

Can anyone tell me what this means and what the "worst case" fix scenario may be...?

Thanks!!

Joel

·
Registered
108 Posts
Question for the group....

I looked at a 2003 K1200GT yesterday with only 14,000 original miles. Unfortunately, the bike had not been maintained, was dropped previously, and had a few other issues. The one thing which worried me the most was the fact that the triangle warning light, on the dash, was red all the time while the bike was running. No other warning lights were lit, just this one...on solid (not flashing).

I don't have my manuals handy (for my 2003 K1200RS) so I am not sure how big a deal this may be...

Can anyone tell me what this means and what the "worst case" fix scenario may be...?

Thanks!!

Joel
Looks like solid red should also have another indicator displayed to show whether it's coolant temp too high or battery charge current insufficient. (Neither sounds cheap.) Page 25:
https://www.ascycles.com/pdf/BMWRiderManuals/K1200GT/ModelCode0597_USA_K1200GT_June2006.pdf

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,254 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Turned out to be two separate but related problems. As I mentioned, the bike had been sitting for about 9 years... Evidently a little critter decided to make its home up in the area of the tail light. In going so, it ate into the cable and consumed about 3" of brake wire (the grey one). After I fixed that, the problem remained... Using an ohmmeter I figured out the the stock bulb as also bad...go figure. All is well now and the cruise control works like a champ... Thanks for all the help!

Reactions: Patric
1 - 5 of 5 Posts