BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi , I’m new to the site . I have an 02 k1200lt custom and I’m looking for guidance on the color codes on the harness ( bike) side to hook up aftermarket radio
I have all wires hooked up right but the red wire is for accessory and I don’t see which wire it is supposed to hook up to to make the radio come on with the ignition switch

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,260 Posts
Try this list out. Looks like pin 5 with the purple yellow but that is for a stock radio and that signal comes from the radio controller unit (part with the buttons) so there will be no voltage on pin 5 if you have removed both. Look to the 6 pin oval connector ( one of three ) on the left side of the cowl for a Green/Blue wire coming off of pin 6 that will be switched power.

Attachments

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you jzeller I’ll try that. I’ll also have to figure out why I have no sound . I looked to see if the radio was on mute but it wasn’t, I’m wondering if I need to wire directly to the speakers but I’ll troubleshoot before I go to that extreme

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,260 Posts
The front speakers are in the middle connector of my last post and the rear speakers are in the round barrel on the under side of the radio "stingray". There is also a disconnect under the rear seat for the speakers in the top case, also a barrel connector.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Hi there! I have been absent for awhile but back with more questions of course. BMW 1200 LT 1999 now lives in New Mexico instead of Mexico. Amazing how much easier it is to get parts. Just changed out the shocks, geez what a mess they had.
Anyhow my radio works, untill I start the bike, it then works for about a minute then shuts down. I checked the voltage before and after start on red lead coming in and no noticable difference. I thought perhaps comp. was re-directing voltage somewhere. Guess not, my best guess is internal radio but wanted to see if anybody had similiar exoerience?
Thanks Richard

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,260 Posts
Welcome back to the US Richard. That is an interesting issue. How long will it play with the bike off? Also try turning in off before you start the bike then turn it on and let us know what happens.

·
Registered
259 Posts
ACC switched power is on purple/black. Without the controller, the purple/red will be dead. The purple/black is available on the set of three connectors top left of the stingray. In fact the same connector has ground, red and the purple/black, so easy enough to tap into.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Hi there. I had already made the decesion to change radio to aftermarket. however radio would play all day I think till bike started, then the radio worked for about 30 seconds till no radio message appeared. After reading forum some more I think the disconnect negative battery terminal might have fixed radio. That or just turn on radio after starting. In checking with voltmeter there is a slight delay when starting bike till regulator? kicks voltage up higher. It is I suspect that this delay along with small amperage needed for radio kicked it off. My problem is it would not come back till bike was not running.
I am waiting for bmw radio adapter to arrive and new radio so that I can change them out.
Thanks to info gleamed on this subject I know which wires to look for. I do have clymer manuel so I believe I will be ok.
Thanks again to all , will post if it works.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts