BMW Luxury Touring Community banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi
newbie to this forum and only had the 1150RT about 6 months. Noticed that occasionally the clutch lever seems to need a bit of pumping to get the hydraulics to actuate the clutch, but no big deal.

Today, adjusted the knurled ratchet on the lever and then the hydraulics got all spongy and felt no resistance. Pumped it continuously and gradually could feel the pressure/actuation of the clutch rod combing back.

Seems a little odd. Seems like I might have air in the line or the master cylinder piston seal is gone and needs replacing. How can I ascertain which is the problem?

Any ideas welcomed, cheers Claudio

·
Registered
3,080 Posts
Go back to original adjustments, I suspect you need a full bleed of the system, not hard to do. You have not talked about any service you have done since owning this bike so I suggest start fresh and make no assumptions as to what has been done. There are some parts in the lever linkage that can cause trouble if messed with and changing the piston travel inside the master cylinder. Great parts list and pictures here:
https://www.maxbmwmotorcycles.com/fiche/PartsFiche.aspx

Here is where you can get a good book to help with your maintenance:

Amazon.com: Clymer Repair Manual M503-3: Automotive

One clutch trick is to tie the lever to the grip over night to let trapped bubbles escape.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi beech

took your advice and bought the Clymer. Replaced the clutch slave cylinder, the felt ring on the rod and new seal on input shaft (drive end) and drilled the weep hole. All good and no clutch slippage. I got lucky this time ;)

cheers, Claudio

·
Registered
3,080 Posts
Sometimes life is just plain good. Another trick when bleeding a clutch that remains soft and not working is to tie the lever to the grip over night. Next day with lid off reservoir while working carefully the lever, tap the clutch reservoir perch lightly with something like a screwdriver handle. As you do all this you will see tiny bubble come up in the fluid. May take two nights. Really helps on difficult bleeds. Bleed up from the slave cylinder to the reservoir is good too.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.