BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 02 LT center stand just broke this morning where the bottom horizontal bar meets the somewhat vertical bar by the weld area. One of the local dealer mentioned over the phone that I might be able to claim warranty on this?

I was wondering if anybody had a center stand failure such as mine and got it covered under warranty?

If the warranty does not cover, I was thinking of trying to retrofit the electric center to my 02 model. Another dealer said that they would not retrofit electric center stand to older models. Did Anybody have dealer installed electric center stand to older models? or shall I give it a try?

Thanks in advance,

·
IBR# 366
16,533 Posts
We've had several break just like that. Warranty coverage depends on how much your dealer is willing to go to bat for you.

We've also had a few folks put the hydraulic center stands onto older bikes. The consensus seems to be that wiring in all the factory safety relays is difficult and unnecessary. Just use a simple on/off switch, and only deploy it when you know conditions are right (neutral, bike running, fairly flat ground, etc.).

The biggest issue seems to be the cost of all the parts, though sometimes you can get lucky with a used parts dealer or trike manufacturer.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My usual dealer (BMW of Scottsdale aka EuroMotorsports, AZ, Dave) did not even want to bother to deal with the warranty. (what a dissopintment!) Now, I trying my luck with Victory BMW in Chandler (Jim the service manager), where I originally purchased the bike. I am keeping my fingers crossed.

·
Registered
162 Posts
MattKas said:
My 02 LT center stand just broke this morning where the bottom horizontal bar meets the somewhat vertical bar by the weld area. One of the local dealer mentioned over the phone that I might be able to claim warranty on this?

I was wondering if anybody had a center stand failure such as mine and got it covered under warranty?

If the warranty does not cover, I was thinking of trying to retrofit the electric center to my 02 model. Another dealer said that they would not retrofit electric center stand to older models. Did Anybody have dealer installed electric center stand to older models? or shall I give it a try?

Thanks in advance,
What about simply rewelding it and painting it black ?

·
Registered
878 Posts
My '03 center stand broke late last year and was replaced under warranty. In my case, the break occurred just outside of the weld area and was difinately a manufacturing defect. I thought about welding it but finally decided against it based upon where the break occurred.

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
Mine broke about a year ago at about the same place on my 99. I had it welded and have had no further problems

·
Registered
3 Posts
I would have it re-welded and not replaced with the same defective part. The welder should be able to see where the weak point is and reinforce it accordingly.
Mike S

·
Registered
5,835 Posts
Petre said:
What about simply rewelding it and painting it black ?
that was I was thinking, you could cut it off add a plug in it like we do when we shorten sidestands and centerstands then have it welded, it will never break there again!

Tom

1 - 8 of 8 Posts