BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
MY LT has recently been shedding little pieces of black foam, from all under the front tupperware. It seems to me to be like a vibration damper or insulation that has dried out and is flaking away. At the same time, I seem to having a situation where certain bumps have a distinct sound like a hard landing - only way to describe it. I believe that I also need new shocks as the bike has 33k miles. I don't want to begin working on the bike right now - holiday and starting a new job this week, and other stuff going on. Bike is new enough to me that I have never had it apart.

Now to the question. Is it conceivable that the flaked foam is contributing to the noises I hear when going over bumps? Is this foam replaceable? Does it have a common name? Is it sized for my bike - or have a part number? Anyone else had this issue?

·
Registered
1999 LTC
14,459 Posts
MY LT has recently been shedding little pieces of black foam, from all under the front tupperware. It seems to me to be like a vibration damper or insulation that has dried out and is flaking away. At the same time, I seem to having a situation where certain bumps have a distinct sound like a hard landing - only way to describe it. I believe that I also need new shocks as the bike has 33k miles. I don't want to begin working on the bike right now - holiday and starting a new job this week, and other stuff going on. Bike is new enough to me that I have never had it apart.

Now to the question. Is it conceivable that the flaked foam is contributing to the noises I hear when going over bumps? Is this foam replaceable? Does it have a common name? Is it sized for my bike - or have a part number? Anyone else had this issue?
Hi, Steve - had the same situation of losing the old and tired foam at ole Toad's dash area, 'tween the clear dash cover and the speaker cover piece. I bought a 1/2" thick closed cell foam panel at an upholstery shop and cut out a patterned piece and used some 3M spray adhesive to attach/install in the open gap. Stuff didn't stay more'en a coupla years and it's now gone - leaving that gaposis. I live with it, butt prolly should fill it in again. Every once in awhile, something will come flying up thru there while we're riding, so the foam must have been designed to prevent debris, dust, whatever, from passing. I don't think the lack of it contributes to noise you hear. The original foam wuz pretty much open cell. HTH.

·
Premium Member
3,549 Posts
A few people have had to change shocks at lower mileage than on yours.

The foam dry rots and flakes away, shud be a piece of foam or rubber between the front upper tupper ware panel and the lower panel right where one overlaps the other on the front.

you can get noises when little rubber bumpers in the side stand and center stand get worn down--wind up with metal on metal clunk on bumps.

Plus, if you don't tighten firmly the tool pouch and use the rubber tie down you'll get noises going over bumps.

Best from t'son
Bob

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Its weird because I've never ridden a bike with bad shocks, and I would have thought they would be mushy/wallowy(is that a word?) This seems like they are hard or seized but only when going over washboard pavement or potholes, most other times they seem fine. Also the sound is different, like BANG. Poor description but I dunno what else to say. Just bumping this in hopes someone else will chime in.

That said...Ohlins or Wilbers? Can the stocks just be rebuilt to save money? New springs? Should I do really do both front and rear? No idea actually best way to check shocks - they don't seem to have leaked.

Sorry for all the half-baked questions, its just money tight and 2 big rides coming up in next few weeks. Maybe I'm just in denial...

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,411 Posts
Even good stock shocks are very harsh compared to other bikes I have ridden, especially the front. I had them soften up my Ohlins the last time they were rebuilt.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Its weird because I've never ridden a bike with bad shocks, and I would have thought they would be mushy/wallowy(is that a word?) This seems like they are hard or seized but only when going over washboard pavement or potholes, most other times they seem fine. Also the sound is different, like BANG. Poor description but I dunno what else to say. Just bumping this in hopes someone else will chime in.

That said...Ohlins or Wilbers? Can the stocks just be rebuilt to save money? New springs? Should I do really do both front and rear? No idea actually best way to check shocks - they don't seem to have leaked.

Sorry for all the half-baked questions, its just money tight and 2 big rides coming up in next few weeks. Maybe I'm just in denial...
The LT has very soft springs stock and settle with time, my front was bottoming out with a big bang, put HyperPro springs on and bottoming out fixed, cheap option. The pair of springs is less than $300. Lots of threads on the topic.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts