BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2002 K1200LT - I performed my first oil change using a kit: 11002300053 and filter 11.42 1 460 845/11.42 1 460 697 - when taking off the filter it required too much force - threads didn't appear to be stripped when examining - took just as much force to put the new one on - after just 1-2 turns it was binding. It almost seems like it is the wrong size filter, but after checking several times - this one is the right number. This is an OEM filter from BMW dealer.

Anyone see this problem before?

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
What do the threads look like on the used filter?

I would remove the new filter and check the motor's threads with a mirror.

Is it possible that you have an old rubber seal stuck on the inside of the filter mount? Not probable, but Murphy's Law is always king.

By the way, the filter(s) should be easy to spin on and off.

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,248 Posts
I think most of us are used to the long spin on most auto filters before reaching resistance. The LT filter snugs up pretty quick by comparison.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It started getting tight almost right away as I started to turn the filter on. The interesting thing is that it was just as tight taking the old one off - the dealer did the last oil change.

I will look at the threads a little better the next time I change the oil. I was hoping that someone has seen this before - doesn't look like it. I appreciate the feedback.

Paul

·
Registered
220 Posts
PaulDickson_VA said:
It started getting tight almost right away as I started to turn the filter on. The interesting thing is that it was just as tight taking the old one off - the dealer did the last oil change.

I will look at the threads a little better the next time I change the oil. I was hoping that someone has seen this before - doesn't look like it. I appreciate the feedback.

Paul
I would take the time to address this right away.
If the the threads are crossed you can point that out to the dealer and get him to correct it.
Otherwise, its on you.
My filter spins on like butter. I've used OEM and different filters too.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Some one must have left a burr on the treads. People some times, drive a screw driver through the filter to remove, when they don,t have the proper filter wrench.

·
Registered
21 Posts
So my lesson learned,
1. I was installing my oil filter after an oil change on a 2005 LT and had the same condition you are referencing.
2. I did not "figure it out" so I closed up the cover plate and added the oil
3. Traveled on the bike for over a 1000 miles over several weeks
4. One day I am passing a car, at higher RPM and my check oil light comes on
5. Engine starts sounding bad, within 30 seconds. (no oil leak on road)
6. Engine off, stuck on the side of the road
7. Trailer the bike home to find out the oil filter apparently was "cross threaded" and came off inside the oil/engine bay.
8. No visible thread damage upon dissassembly.
9. Occationally when installing new oil filter now, I get the cross threaded start,,, I stop and try a slight re-alignment. On a 2005 LT you should have several full rotations where the filter spins freely.
10. Over 10,000 since my installation issue, no problems with oil usage....

So my read from the above "thread" is the oil filter referenced is cross threaded, like mine was. Be careful, I drove quite a while before causing me a problem. :wave

1 - 9 of 9 Posts