BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my gps went bad on my 2002 k1200lte and I was wondering if I want to keep all functinality do I replace it with the same model or are there others that work (just like the priginal through the com system)? Where would I go about finding an original GPS unit? Also I am looking to retain the priginal mounting location hence the original replacement. thanks

·
Premium Member
4,876 Posts
I don't think you'll want an original 02 GPS. Street Pilot III was way too slow. For around $300 you can get a 2820 or better that works 100 times better. Worth a new wire job. Lots of ways to get it to work on the same bracket too.

·
Registered
989 Posts
"that works 100 times better" is an understatement. Way, way better.

I had an SPIII and can confirm that. Currently, I have a Street Pilot 2820 and a 2610 (the latter one updated with with current maps - almost as good as the 2820, though the display does not come close).

The 26xx/27xx/2820 series are great receivers, well worth the effort to find one and to install it.

·
Registered
227 Posts
DanDiver said:
I don't think you'll want an original 02 GPS. Street Pilot III was way too slow. For around $300 you can get a 2820 or better that works 100 times better. Worth a new wire job. Lots of ways to get it to work on the same bracket too.
Yep, I made the changed and I'm glad I did it. The 2820 is much easier to use with the QWERTY keypad and it is way faster too. Don't overthink it, just do it. :bmw:

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
will the 2610 work with the com system and stock mount? I have one of those laying round..... worse case ill pop on my nuvi but wanted to keep all the functinality from the original

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
would love to get a newer bike specific one but to expensive but they sure are nice :) I picked up a used Nuvi that has bluetooth and mp3 player built in. Itll do everything I need. Thanks

·
Registered
2,066 Posts

·
Registered
1999 LTC
14,456 Posts
kellenbenz said:
Before you give up on your old unit, try a master reset following the instructions in the link below. My unit appeared to have died....so I googled it and found this. It worked for me!

http://www.motorcycle-navigation.net/forum/streetpilot-motorrad-navigator/54-streetpilot-iii-hard-reset.html

Ron
Hey, Ron - wonder if that'll work on my Streetpilot 1?? :eek: :histerica Course, the damn thang only shows ole roads in my county, so what the heck!! :rolleyes:

I did pick up a 2820 last year, butt have been waiting on the 8 year old next door to graduate. He did, so now he'll have time to show me how it works!! ;)

·
Registered
227 Posts
The only problem with the Nuvi is its waterproofness, or lack thereof. I'm sure we have all been riding in the rain at some point. :bmw:

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
Dick said:
Hey, Ron - wonder if that'll work on my Streetpilot 1?? :eek: :histerica Course, the damn thang only shows ole roads in my county, so what the heck!! :rolleyes:

I did pick up a 2820 last year, butt have been waiting on the 8 year old next door to graduate. He did, so now he'll have time to show me how it works!! ;)
It sure is worth a try Dick.

He made an error typing the instructions but it was easy to decipher....I will correct it below

With the unit switched off

Press the cursor button in any direction at the same time press the power button

Let go of the power button, but continue holding the cursor button

Press together the route and quit button, while you hold these two, let go of the cursor button

The unit should now make a bleep sound. Now release the route and quit buttons

The screen goes blank for about 10 seconds, then restarts

Remember to have the key on so that power is available but the unit turned off to start out.

I hope it works for you!

Ron

·
Registered
910 Posts
DOnt you avoid them new roads anyway?
I always thought the best roads were the old FM and RR anyway... :D

Dick said:

;)

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
ive got it sorted now. The original owner had the batteries in it (needed to make it work even if pluged into power) and that was the issue. Evedently it had gotten wet inside the battery tray and the cells poped acid all over which ate through the plastic casing and got onto the circut boards inside and ate them all up so its toast. I poped an old 2610 on there and it works fine ecept that it only has the main roads and hiways but none of the smaller roads so its pretty useless as well. The Nuvi 360 is what ill use for now until I can afford a bike specific model. the Nuvi 360 will mount up fine, interface with my phone and the com system but ill need to either water proof the case or add a waterproof case to it. there a re a number of cases thatlll work while still allowing use of the touch screen. Thanks for the replies all :)

·
Premium Member
2011 R1200RT
8,158 Posts
kellenbenz said:
1982 GL1100 rode 84108 miles (bought with 12012 and sold at 906120)
Ron, that sure is a lot of miles on that Wing, or did you enter the Zip code instead? ;)

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
Giles....looks like I mistyped that one didn't I....thanks for the heads up.

Ron

1 - 15 of 15 Posts