BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a 2002 K1200LT a year ago and am trying now to figure out how to get my i-pod to play through the BMW sound system. The previous owner had wired it up for a satellite radio and removed the Sirius head when I took the bike. The wiring had been tucked under the handlebar cover. I have pulled the wiring back out and found the plug to hook up the i-pod but now can't figure out what or how to set the stereo to play on Aux. or whatever it needs to be set on. The stereo has the cassette player in the glove box and the six CD player in the saddle bag. Any pointers on how to get sound???

Thanks All!!!!

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
My '02 has an intercom so your experience may be different. I can hook an MP3 player to the aux input in the oddments box. Using this method however means the MP3 will only play through the helmet speakers and NOT the fairing speakers. Volume will need to be controlled on the player itself and not with the handlebar switches. Have your stereo system off. If you have a cassette player in the oddments box, you can get a cassette adapter for the MP3 player. Then you can play it through the stereo and use either the helmet or external speakers. You'll also be able to use the handlebar buttons to control volume and mute but nothing else. Remember it is 2002 technology.

I'm sure someone will have advice about the dice unit also.

·
Registered
339 Posts
I have been playing around with this idea for a while now, and I'm almost there.

Tried the cassette adapter, 2 different adapters, and could only get it to play on one channel.

The mp3 player I have is a very tiny Sansa Clip, and plugging that into a 12 volt FM transmitter that runs off a cigarette lighter should work. (as it does very well in cars/trucks).

All I need is a conversion cable to change over from the factory RCA type of power port to a regular lighter (female) port. There is a cable available, but it costs more than the mp3 player.

Either that or install a lighter port on the fairing beside a mirror...I WILL get it done one day !

·
Registered
719 Posts
K1200LTryder said:
I have been playing around with this idea for a while now, and I'm almost there.

Tried the cassette adapter, 2 different adapters, and could only get it to play on one channel.

The mp3 player I have is a very tiny Sansa Clip, and plugging that into a 12 volt FM transmitter that runs off a cigarette lighter should work. (as it does very well in cars/trucks).

All I need is a conversion cable to change over from the factory RCA type of power port to a regular lighter (female) port. There is a cable available, but it costs more than the mp3 player.

Either that or install a lighter port on the fairing beside a mirror...I WILL get it done one day !
my 2002 plays my ipod perfectly with the cassette adapter,make sure you have the wire plugged all the way into the ipod

·
Registered
3,137 Posts
+1! I have been riding with a cassette adapter for my Ipod for 10 years now and no problems whatsoever. Make sure you have good connections and possibly try a head cleaner. I did have to try a couple of different brands early on till I found the best one, so perhaps there are some diffs in manufacturing, but really shouldn't be.

John
lenny said:
my 2002 plays my ipod perfectly with the cassette adapter,make sure you have the wire plugged all the way into the ipod

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
Mine did the same thing until I switched the direction the "tape" was moving. In other words the deck will play both sides of the tape without pulling the tape out, turning the tape over, and re-inserting the tape. The player itself switches the direction and either moves the tape heads or uses a second set of player heads to read the other side of the tape. Change the deck so its playing the other side of the tape and see if it works.

This is very reproducible on my deck and tape replacer thingey. One direction, one channel. Change the direction and both channels play every time.

Loren

lenny said:

·
Registered
339 Posts
wa1200lt said:
Mine did the same thing until I switched the direction the "tape" was moving. In other words the deck will play both sides of the tape without pulling the tape out, turning the tape over, and re-inserting the tape. The player itself switches the direction and either moves the tape heads or uses a second set of player heads to read the other side of the tape. Change the deck so its playing the other side of the tape and see if it works.

This is very reproducible on my deck and tape replacer thingey. One direction, one channel. Change the direction and both channels play every time.

Loren

You, SIR, are a steely eyed missle man !!!

It works perfect and sounds awesome and is playing through all the speakers and now I hope I don't get distracted listening to very loud music whilst riding.

ZZ Top for the bass boomers that sneer at me while stopped at an intersection from now on.

This is Sofa King Cool !

:dance: :dance: :dance:

·
Registered
18 Posts
DICE electronics offers an ipod adapter for the LT.
It requires removing the 6 CD changer in the back right cargo compartment. The adapter plugs into the wires that were formerly occupied by the CD changer and you can control all the features of the ipod with the buttons on the handle bars/ "dash board".
And with the CD player removed, you have about a third more storage space in that compartment.
http://diceelectronics.com/bmw.html

:cool:

·
Registered
1 Posts
Is there anyway that I can get an auxiliary plug from the 6 cd player and put the other end up the the small compartment to plug in a small mp3 player. I never use the single cd player in the compartment just the 6 cd changer. I have a 2003

·
Registered
160 Posts
There is a AUX input cable that is used on the 3 series cars that will connect to the back of the radio unit where the cable from the 6 disc changer is now connected. This will let you install an AUX input jack (3.5mm) in the wall of the compartment. You will need an amplifier between your iPod and the input, I found the Boosteroo works well. Getting the radio off the bike is no small thing but once that is done the installation should not take more than a day or two. It took me about 6 hours to get the radio off.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts