BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have done a check on this, and hope that someone can help. I was riding to work this morning, and I was running about 60 mph, when I slowed down, and turn the throttle, the bike had some hesitation. This happened twice. I have about a quarter of a tank of duel. I did use 89 octain last fill up. What kind of additive can I buy at Walmart that won't hurt the bike. Also any other suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
Next time your out riding, and been so for a bit stop the bike and very soon after open GAS CAP and listen ... It when unscrewing cap you hear a woosh of air entering tank ya got a plugged up carbon canister.
The per-say canisterectomy is in order.

monkeeman said:
I have done a check on this, and hope that someone can help. I was riding to work this morning, and I was running about 60 mph, when I slowed down, and turn the throttle, the bike had some hesitation. This happened twice. I have about a quarter of a tank of duel. I did use 89 octain last fill up. What kind of additive can I buy at Walmart that won't hurt the bike. Also any other suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
motorhead said:
Next time your out riding, and been so for a bit stop the bike and very soon after open GAS CAP and listen ... It when unscrewing cap you hear a woosh of air entering tank ya got a plugged up carbon canister.
The per-say canisterectomy is in order.
Ok, I will check this the next time I ride. Could you post a link on how to do the canisterectomy. If there is one with pictures, that would be even better. I'm not very mechanically inclined. I'm not a good speller either... :bmw:

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
Look here: http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11584&highlight=cannister+removalThe word doc containing the instructions is in the 3rd post. You don't have to remove the cannister you can just remove the hoses at the fittings and plug them. Much quicker for troubleshooting and easy to complete the cannister removal later if you choose.

I just left the cannister in place and oplugged the hoses.

Loren

·
Registered
5,857 Posts
monkeeman said:
Was it above 80 degrees? and have you clipped the infamous brown wire on your 02?

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
Howdy,

What wa1200LT said then...

If the Brown Wire has not been severed, it needs to be (do a search on "brown wire").

If the Brown Wire HAS been severed, you must run premium fuel.

You may just have some poor quality fuel.

Add some good premium fuel to her.

Good luck and let us know how she progresses.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
amarider said:
Was it above 80 degrees? and have you clipped the infamous brown wire on your 02?
No it was around 70 degrees. No I have not clipped the brown wire, I thought the 2002 models didn't have the brown wire?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
wardenross said:
Howdy,

What wa1200LT said then...

If the Brown Wire has not been severed, it needs to be (do a search on "brown wire").

If the Brown Wire HAS been severed, you must run premium fuel.

You may just have some poor quality fuel.

Add some good premium fuel to her.

Good luck and let us know how she progresses.
Thanks. I want to thank all of the responses, this really helps... thanks again.

·
Registered
635 Posts
In addition to what others have said, use premium 91+ octane which is what BMW indicates as the correct octane.

·
Registered
5,857 Posts
monkeeman said:
No it was around 70 degrees. No I have not clipped the brown wire, I thought the 2002 models didn't have the brown wire?
The 02's were the main year of the Brown Wire. DO a search and read up.
If you look along the frame under the seat just behind the vin plate you should come upon a small brown wire loop coming out of the wiring loom. Not the big thick ground wire but a small gauge brown wire. Clipping it will change the motronic program and stop the hesitation but you do need to run premium fuel.

Good Luck

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
amarider said:
The 02's were the main year of the Brown Wire. DO a search and read up.
If you look along the frame under the seat just behind the vin plate you should come upon a small brown wire loop coming out of the wiring loom. Not the big thick ground wire but a small gauge brown wire. Clipping it will change the motronic program and stop the hesitation but you do need to run premium fuel.

Good Luck
Ok if I clip the brown wire do I still need to do the canisterectomy? Also what is the best additive to put in the gas tank? Can I just get it anywhere? And how much do I use? Or do I need to worry about it?

·
Registered
5,857 Posts
Yes I would a simple canisterectomy just so you don't have to worry about it clogging - ever. If you find the vent line on the right hand side of the bike under the back seat. AT the junction just disconnect and run it down behind the battery to vent. Then find the vacuum line, again under the back seat but on the left side. Disconnect this and plug the end going to the throttle bodies, plug it good - That's it.

Additive - Just use Techron, it works and is available everywhere.

Let us know how she runs when the wire is clipped - BTW you can put a switch on the line and switch back during the Winter months.

·
Premium Member
2011 R1200RT
8,163 Posts
I would not use additive, except for an occasional injector cleaner every couple of years, and the bike will be fine with 87 octane unless the temps get really high.
I use 91 (highest octane in SOCAL) but had used 87 on occasions while traveling and no premium available.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
ok guys, I have located the brown wire, and going to cut it tomorrow. My question is this before I cut. Does this wire just go up in a loop? Cause it looks like it is two wires. So what I'm asking does it matter where I cut it? It looks like to me just one wire, and looped at the end, and held by a wire tie, but I just want to make sure. Thanks again for all your help.... :bmw:

·
Super Moderator
1,401 Posts
Lets see a 60 mph hesitation - most likely engine starving for either air or fuel.

I would go for the lack of fuel flowing to the injectors.

To keep it simple two reasons fuel flow can not be sufficient once bike is running down the road:

1. Clogged fuel filer - pressure drop across a blocked filter causes hesitation at various times.
Your options replace the fuel filter.

2. Clogged carbon canister - causes vacuum build up in gas tank which causes poor suction
conditions for the fuel pump to overcome at various engine rpms.
Your options take the canister out.

As others have you looking at the brown wire not sure at 60 mph this is an issue but you never know!!

Good luck . . .

·
Registered
470 Posts
Did all the above including finding bad spark plug cable due to rubbing on valve cover. Also found loose starter bolt which is the main system ground. This one caused all sorts of problems. How has your fuel milage been lately? Every time the ground failed it would reset the motronic and the system would have to relearn all over again......

Spark plug cables ended up with spliral wrap with a single layer of electrical tape due to the high cost of replacement. If you have not done the same consider it now and keep the $100's in your pocket....

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Motomadman said:
Did all the above including finding bad spark plug cable due to rubbing on valve cover. Also found loose starter bolt which is the main system ground. This one caused all sorts of problems. How has your fuel milage been lately? Every time the ground failed it would reset the motronic and the system would have to relearn all over again......

Spark plug cables ended up with spliral wrap with a single layer of electrical tape due to the high cost of replacement. If you have not done the same consider it now and keep the $100's in your pocket....
My fuel mileage seems fine. I think it is about 39 mpg. I will check all you said, and see what comes up. Thanks.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Well I did a lot today. I removed the canister, even put the trunk on with it back further to make the wife more comfortable. Cut the brown wire and put a switch on it. Took it for a ride, and it seemed that it wanted to die once on me, but once it warmed up, it ran good. I was in a hurry, so really didn't get to ride long.

Thanks everyone for all the info, and I'll keep you informed of how it is going.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Just "in case" the LT specific advice already given doesn't correct the problem, another thing to keep in the back of your mind is water in the gas tank. Depending on amount of water, motion of the bike, etc. a slug of water can get drawn momentarily into the fuel pick up and cause occasional missing.

Hopefully what you've already done will have fixed your problem.

Jeff D

1 - 20 of 20 Posts