BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2) Has the battery been removed since the last time the bike was functioning ?
If YES, then you should do the TPS reset trick (Ignition ON, wait 2 seconds, turn throttle fully open then fully closed 3 times, ignition OFF)

3) With the ignition ON, every time you move the kill switch from left or right to the center position, you should hear the fuel pump priming for 2 or 3 seconds. This will work if the machine is in a "starting configuration" (gear in neutral and reverse NOT engaged).

Note that the fuel pump priming can also be heard for 2/3 seconds when the ignition is turned ON, but the noise is sometimes lost among other noises (like the ABS-unit initializing)

The above did not help start bike.
I do hear a fuel pump priming noise when switching ignition on and off.

Bike does turn over good.
With starter fluid bike will spudder start.
bike did start last summer but was stored with low gas and no stablizer.
i have fuel tank off and used new fuel did not start bike.

i did replace fuel filter
should i replace fuel pump.
or what else would case fuel from getting to motor.

Thanks again for any help.
Scott G.

·
Premium Member
2011 R1200RT
8,175 Posts
Sjgolden said:
Inside the tank there is a lot of pressure going from the fuel pump to the fuel filter, and it is not uncommon for a hose to get disconnected, especially with after-market clamps. Unfortunately you need to remove the tank to get to fuel pump to have confirmation.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Sjgolden said:
2)

Scott,
Is there any chance you left the fuel pump connector unplugged? Just trying to look for the easy stuff first.....
Good luck.

JD

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i have had fuel pump out of bike.
i replaced fuel filter.
i checked and i am getting voltage at pump when first turning on agination.
also when i turn kill switch on/off.
i also hooked up pump out of tank and i have voltage at terminial screws.
i also hear a noise at the pump when switching on and off.

Thanks for all help.
Scott G.

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
zippy_gg said:
Inside the tank there is a lot of pressure going from the fuel pump to the fuel filter, and it is not uncommon for a hose to get disconnected, especially with after-market clamps. Unfortunately you need to remove the tank to get to fuel pump to have confirmation.
Happened to me changing filter. I cut the wrong clamp off and ended up being one clamp short for the replacement. So I tried re-using one of the old crimp clamps. Wrong! Worked for about 1,500 miles then slipped off leaving me stranded about 25 miles from home. The moral of the story is 'do it right the first time'.

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,341 Posts
Make sure the filter is installed in the right direction and that the hose is not split. Then once you get it all back together - run the pump a few times then undo one of the disconnects. Press the white tube part of the disconnect and you should get a healthy squirt of fuel out of it. That will let you know you have good fuel pressure. If you don't get that squirt then you have a hose or pump problem.

·
Premium Member
74 Posts
jzeiler said:
Make sure the filter is installed in the right direction and that the hose is not split. Then once you get it all back together - run the pump a few times then undo one of the disconnects. Press the white tube part of the disconnect and you should get a healthy squirt of fuel out of it. That will let you know you have good fuel pressure. If you don't get that squirt then you have a hose or pump problem.
John,
Greetings from New Haven.
Relieved to see you commenting on a fuel pump problem.
You might remember the actuator issue I had around this time last summer.
For the past two months I've had a problem with the LT turning over.
Cranks like a newborn, but after riding for a while on a hot day, and the bike sits off for a while, I go to turn her on and it's a no go. I hear the fuel pump followed by the ABS system.
Over the past couple of days the sound of the fuel pump is not always a whirring sound. It sounds like gravel was added.
I'm heading to Texas, but may need to head to the mechanic first.
Any suggestions. And thank you so much for your reply.
Regards,
Robert

·
Registered
176 Posts
I had a "no start" issue, as well.
Motor would turn over as normal but bike would not start.
Fuse good, 12v to tank for 2 secs after switching key "on".
12v to tank when starter button depressed.

BMW pump assy. $328, strainer, $46

beemerboneyard pump $220

Found www.highflowfuels.com on ebay...
pump cost $69.00 plus free shipping.
Shipped from California to North Carolina in 2 days.

Pump has a lifetime warranty!

Part number is HFP-439

·
Premium Member
3,549 Posts
That is a great find!

I ran a scan on the part number and wound up on their site.

Best
Bob

·
Registered
476 Posts
+1. That's a great find! If I'd seen this about 2 weeks ago I MIT have pre-emotive,y replaced my fuel pump while the bike was in bits. Oh well. 3000 miles should be a good test (vacation ride starting soon).

·
Premium Member
3,108 Posts
robertpage said:
John,
Cranks like a newborn, but after riding for a while on a hot day, and the bike sits off for a while, I go to turn her on and it's a no go. I hear the fuel pump followed by the ABS system.
Over the past couple of days the sound of the fuel pump is not always a whirring sound. It sounds like gravel was added.
Regards,
Robert
A gravel sound is a good sign of a failing pump, at least on cars and trucks. And for what it's worth, motorcycles, cars, and trucks all run at about 51 PSI unless it's a throttle body system which is 15 PSI. So unless you hear a good hum, you are probably on to something. The pump on my Honda sounds like an air hose hiss, but most the time you should hear either a good hydraulic or electric motor hum when it charges.

·
Registered
476 Posts
rowie said:
+1. That's a great find! If I'd seen this about 2 weeks ago I MIT have pre-emotive,y replaced my fuel pump while the bike was in bits. Oh well. 3000 miles should be a good test (vacation ride starting soon).
Wow - and an iPad is not a good way to post in a hurry based on all the typos.....!! What I meant to say is "I might have pre-emptively replaced"....

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts
robertpage said:
John,
Regards,
Robert
If you have troubles whilst in Texas be sure to look me up. Happy to help when I can.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Richard_Trejo said:
where can I get a fuel pump for K200LT
High Flow Fuels

hfp-439

$89 with a lifetime warranty.

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
I had a "no start" issue, as well.
Motor would turn over as normal but bike would not start.
Fuse good, 12v to tank for 2 secs after switching key "on".
12v to tank when starter button depressed.

BMW pump assy. $328, strainer, $46

beemerboneyard pump $220

Found www.highflowfuels.com on ebay...
pump cost $69.00 plus free shipping.
Shipped from California to North Carolina in 2 days.

Pump has a lifetime warranty!

Part number is HFP-439
The correct link is Quantum Fuel Systems - Performance and Replacement Fuel Pumps for Automotive, Motorcycle, ATV, Jetski, Snowmobile, Watercraft, Marine, Outboard Applications

1 - 16 of 16 Posts