BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would like to know if there would be any interest in a Tech Session at the CCR on bleeding the intergrated brakes. I can bring a 30 year BMW Tech along if needed to help.
I have done mine and with special tools cost less then $10.00 and that include the brake fluid. also did the clutch. The hardest part is???? oh there is no hard part. I have shown my photo's to my Tech and he is looking forward to doing his next Intergrated system.
If there is any interest please let me know would be more then happy to send photo's and instructions via e-mail.
John

·
Registered
5,408 Posts
JMeese said:
I would like to know if there would be any interest in a Tech Session at the CCR on bleeding the intergrated brakes. I can bring a 30 year BMW Tech along if needed to help.
I have done mine and with special tools cost less then $10.00 and that include the brake fluid. also did the clutch. The hardest part is???? oh there is no hard part. I have shown my photo's to my Tech and he is looking forward to doing his next Intergrated system.
If there is any interest please let me know would be more then happy to send photo's and instructions via e-mail.
John
Thanks for the offer, J (John??; not in your profile). John Rehder (lead) and I will be coordinating the tech sessions are CCR 2006, so as we get closer, we'll talk more.

A question on your approach: The Article you provided shows only fluid change in the wheel circuits -- did you also do the two control circuits? I posted a comment with the Article to provide a link to a document with notes on doing the entire fluid change and some background info on the system layout. However, if you were planning on supplementing your Article, I'd be happy to remove my comment.

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Great idea...

JMeese said:
Hi John,

I am getting ready to attempt a flush on my LT and would appreciate seeing your photos and process. :D

·
Premium Member
783 Posts

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
Yes!!!!!

·
IBR# 366
16,560 Posts
I think this would be quite useful and helpful.

I'd also like to see a couple of other seminars. I don't have the background to teach either, but these are things I think we can all benefit from.

The first is a talk about basic weather patterns. How to decipher the info presented on the Weather Channel maps, different fronts and their effects, what different clouds mean, basic prediction techniques (for the next couple of hours anyway). Basically things you might need to know when out on the road or watching the Weather Channel in some hotel as you're about to head out. Info on the new weather-enabled GPS units would also be helpful.

The second topic is suspension setup and handling. I know the LT has only one preload knob stock, but after market shocks are available that are fully adjustable. A basic description of what each of the adjustments do and how they affect the ride would be useful.

Any experts out there willing to volunteer?

·
Registered
39 Posts
JMeese said:

I am getting ready this week to change the brake fluid and would appreciate your procedure and photos.

Thanks,

Bill

[email protected]

·
Registered
42 Posts
I would like to see pix and discriptions

·
Registered
2,399 Posts
This is NOT a "knock" on JMeese's brake fluid change procedure, but don't forget: as Mark Neblett pointed out, it only does 1/2 the job - it exchanges fluid in the wheel circuits but NOT the control circuits. Doing this 1/2 of the job is good, since BMW recommends that the wheel circuit fluid be changed more often than the control circuit fluid. If you want to save money by being able to do this entire job yourself, we also need to know how to exchange fluid in the control circuits. Mr. Neblett has told us how to do this, but I think it's fair to say that it's not as simple as JMeese's wheel circuit procedure.

- Bob

·
Registered
97 Posts
Bleeding on a Dec 02 K - BMW calipers

Hello J,

I currently have my K12LT Dec 02 stripped and am trying to bleed the brakes, I have a factory manual, and commenced the process using it. However, I accidently allowed air into the front circuit and if I understand the process correctly, I now need to bleed the ABS brake regulator. The manual describes this in detail so I did not fear it, execpt for one small problem, the system on my bike is completely different that the one in the factory manual.

Is this is system that you are referring to? Do you have enough material to help me get this job done at the moment, I would love to go to the CCR but I live in Ireland and most likely will not make it.

If you were prepared to take a call, I would call you to discuss the routine. My number is 00 353 86 8066970 (from outside Ireland) but I do not expect you to take the cost of a call.

I am planning a trip to Europe and Russia (5000 miles ish) so I am giving the bike a complete service, all fluids.

Your help would be much appriciated,

thanks in advance

Mark Breen
Ireland

02 K12LT Silver
99 R1100RT Blue

·
Registered
308 Posts
There is a supplement to the factory manual for the integrated brakes. The factory manual was written in 1999 and has not been updated. It is not descriptive of the brake system on your 2002. I found out the way you just did. The safest course now is to have it transported to a dealer. Sorry.

·
Registered
2,272 Posts
JMeese said:
John
John,
Does your process cover the power assisted integrated brake system on the '05's as well as the earlier models? I have a copy of the article published by Hager & Gilman but it would be nice to be able to observe the procedure before diving in. If your in need of a specimen I'd consider offering my bike as guinea pig.

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
It would depend on

If the 05 system is the same as the 02 most likely it is but I do not know only have the 02 I also think it would be a good seminar at the CCR but only my opinion
John

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Bob I figured most all interested would have read and printed out Marks post I know I did I got my tip sort of from a BMW Mech at my dealer I figured out how to do it on my own. I would use in junction with Marks post hope this helps
John

1 - 20 of 24 Posts