BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Having recently totaled a 2001 LT (let her rest in peace) and today picked up a used 2005 LT, I was pleasantly surprised with the lighter weight. What I wasn't ready for was a "heavier" front end feel requiring more effort and input to negotiate corners.

Is anyone aware whether the angles on the front end (rake, trail, etc.) changed during the early 2000-year models? The 2005 has 25,000 miles on it. The 2001 had over 80,000 miles and despite the original shocks, still carved the corners, picking up the right line with little input.

With the tread left on these tires, they are more likely the 3rd set of tires, or he got real good mileage out of his first two sets. I'll need to check the pressure in the tires tomorrow morning, but would hope the dealership had checked some of the basics. The dealership selling the bike on consignment, did most, but not all the work on it.

The tires are the typical Metzlers for the LTs.

Anyone with suggestions on what else I might look at? Overall the bike is clean and appears to be well cared for.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
4,240 Posts
2005 was the change to the rake angle to make it more stable in the slow speed parking lots. Yes, check the tires and suspension.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
mwnahas said:
2005 was the change to the rake angle to make it more stable in the slow speed parking lots. Yes, check the tires and suspension.
Makes sense for how it feels. Caught me by surprise pulling out of the dealership on the test ride. It will be interesting to see if I can get full specs and compare side by side.

Thanks.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts