BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2001 has ABS, integrated brakes, and BMW on the caliper.

I just replaced all brake lines with Spiegler stainless lines. After reassembly, I began recharging the system with fluid and bleeding with a hand operated suction pump. Per the instructions written by Mark Neblett and downloaded from this site I began with the front integral bleeder, the one on the riders left side of the integral pump. All went well.

Then I moved to the rear, which is the right side of the integral pump. At first it appeared that everything was fine. The fluid level in the reservoir was going down as I pumped the rear brake pedal and bled the line. That said, the feel of the pedal never increased, that is to say that the resistance I felt never increased. I continued pumping and bleeding but no fluid ever came out of the bleeder and now there fluid level is not going down any further.

Any thoughts on how to troubleshoot/resolve would be much, much appreciated!!

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
My 2001 has ABS, integrated brakes, and BMW on the caliper.

I just replaced all brake lines with Spiegler stainless lines. After reassembly, I began recharging the system with fluid and bleeding with a hand operated suction pump. Per the instructions written by Mark Neblett and downloaded from this site I began with the front integral bleeder, the one on the riders left side of the integral pump. All went well.

Then I moved to the rear, which is the right side of the integral pump. At first it appeared that everything was fine. The fluid level in the reservoir was going down as I pumped the rear brake pedal and bled the line. That said, the feel of the pedal never increased, that is to say that the resistance I felt never increased. I continued pumping and bleeding but no fluid ever came out of the bleeder and now there fluid level is not going down any further.

Any thoughts on how to troubleshoot/resolve would be much, much appreciated!!

In these cases (air in system because of new brake lines install), it is best to push fluid from the ABS-modulator bleeder(s). See this post where JZEILER explains the technique:
http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=88481

The same technique is recommended in the BMW shop manual for servo-assisted Integral-ABS modulator. You can use a large Syringe with a bit of tubing ; another option is to use a vacuum bleeder tool that has a a "push fluid" option built into their hand-pump (I have a MityVac that does this).

·
Premium Member
2011 R1200RT
8,175 Posts
I don't recall is your 2001 has 2 reservoirs for the rear master Cylinder so you may want to check. If so you may have the forward reservoir filled but the rear got empty and air entered the system. Easy fix if this is the problem.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Zippy,

The rear reservoir does indeed have two compartments. Both went down while I first worked on the front and then on the rear. I refilled when they looked low. In each case, they did get below the MIN line. Is it possible the level got too low (even though they were empty before I started)?

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
John,

Thanks for the reference to the other thread. I read that and am not certain how I would manage pushing fluid back up from the ABS unit. My vacuum pump doesn't push and thought of trying to do this with a turkey baster sounds like it might have a few issues of its own. If that were to work for me I realize I'd have to empty the master cylinder on the handlebar before pushing fluid up to it. Not sure this is a method I can see myself doing. Good thought nonetheless!

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
John,

Thanks for the reference to the other thread. I read that and am not certain how I would manage pushing fluid back up from the ABS unit. My vacuum pump doesn't push and thought of trying to do this with a turkey baster sounds like it might have a few issues of its own. If that were to work for me I realize I'd have to empty the master cylinder on the handlebar before pushing fluid up to it. Not sure this is a method I can see myself doing. Good thought nonetheless!
Not sure where JZEILER and others bought their large Syringe, but it should be much cheaper to buy these than buy a special MityVac like I have.

For REAR-Control-circuit you will be pushing from ABS-Modulator into the white 2 sections reservoir. For Front-Control-circuit, you will be pushing fluid from ABS-Modulator into the handlebar master-cylinder (only needed if lever appears soft with ignition OFF - lever normally does NOT touch the rubber grip when hard enough)

More pictures and info on this from these 3 threads:
http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=102706
http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=89521
http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=84097

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,254 Posts
When you said you were pumping the pedal and no fluid came out were you on the bleeders on the ABS? These are the sequence (#1, #2, #3, then #1 again) for bleeding the control circuits with the key off. The front half of the rear reservoir is for both rear control and rear wheel. The rear half is just for the front wheel circuits. I don't like vacuum bleeders and BMW does not recommend them for the ABS bleed. As long as the reservoir never went dry you should be able to continue.

Attachments

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
John (Zeiler),

Thank you for your response. I was only aware of #2 front and rear from your photo. I'll clearly need to go back at it and look for the other two bleeders. Thanks again!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts