BMW Luxury Touring Community banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I Just thought i'd say hi.

I've been lurking since last year, when I last thought about getting an LT so I joined for some advice.
My name is Adz and i'm from the UK (Midlands)

I'm 39 years old and have 2 other bikes, an Aprilia RSV1000r factory and a ZZR 600 for commuting 130 miles a day on.
My last bike was a Hayabusa, which I had for 5 years. I thought that was a heavy beast until I bought this on Saturday.
I'm amazed by the economy too and all the gadgets, which luckily all work.
I've read a lot about the final drive problem and every time I hear a clunk or whine I think it's failed. I have never owned a BMW before, so i'm getting used to her quirks.
Enjoy the pics of the Big girl and Hello again :wave

·
Registered
369 Posts
Welcome! You started off on the right foot by making a superior color choice :) I have owned mine for many years now and at first worried about the final drive as well, but with many cross country trips and more than 70K miles later, I don't even think about it any more. If or when it happens, I'll deal with it then, until then too much fun to be had riding and not thinking every little sound is an impending disaster. Enjoy the bike and enjoy the forum!

·
Registered
6,424 Posts
Well, you know what they say about guys that ride a mauve bike, right? You gotta be a real man. :dance: Been there done that. (bike #2)

Welcome to the real ride. :bmw:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Welcome to the world of LTs, I hope you enjoy it.

Don't worry about noises to much. I am sure anyone who's had BMs will tell you that compared to alot of Jap bikes, they make all kinds of weird and wonderful sounds; transmission whine, alternator clatter and drive line clunk can all be expected at some point. These are heavily built machines designed to do some serious mileage, they don't even start to bed in properly much before 20,000 miles.

The LT does have quite a noisy motor, even among BMWs. FD fails are statistically very rare [~4%], and providing you do not overload the bike and keep on top of the oil changes you should be OK.

Just remember that LTs like other older BMs have three seperate oil circuits, one for the FD, one for the gearbox and another for the engine.

Ride safe...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts