BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I snapped the head off of the water temp sender on the 2001 K12LT while flushing the coolant system.

Am having a hard time finding the right one. Bob's BMW in Maryland sent the wrong one @ $39.50. The thread on mine is M10 x 1 X 10mm long.

My local NAPA dealer had one for a Volkswagen / Volvo for $14.50 but in checking the ohm reading I got the following.

The one from NAPA, Part number TS6052 - 972 ohms
The one Bob sent me, Supposedly Part Number 62.16.1459270 - 0 ohms

Mine has a button head for a slide on connector.

Could some one check the ohm reading of their temp sensor when the bike is cold?

Or, has anyone found a suitable replacement?

Thanks

[email protected]

I do not know how to attach photos, otherwise I would have sent the one of my broken unit.

·
Premium Member
1,345 Posts
According to the A&S Cycles parts list there's only one sending unit for all year model LTs.......... :confused:

·
Premium Member
7,652 Posts
falcon1200lt said:
I snapped the head off of the water temp sender on the 2001 K12LT while flushing the coolant system.

Am having a hard time finding the right one. Bob's BMW in Maryland sent the wrong one @ $39.50. The thread on mine is M10 x 1 X 10mm long.

My local NAPA dealer had one for a Volkswagen / Volvo for $14.50 but in checking the ohm reading I got the following.

The one from NAPA, Part number TS6052 - 972 ohms
The one Bob sent me, Supposedly Part Number 62.16.1459270 - 0 ohms

Mine has a button head for a slide on connector.

Could some one check the ohm reading of their temp sensor when the bike is cold?

Or, has anyone found a suitable replacement?

Thanks

[email protected]

I do not know how to attach photos, otherwise I would have sent the one of my broken unit.
Just go down to the "additional options" box right below the box you type the message in and hit the "manage attachments" menu button.

I am confused by two things you mention above:

1. The price you gave does not match the price shown in the online fiche at Bob's. The part numer looks correct, but the price for 62 16 1459270 is $22.34 rather than $39.50.

2. I just flushed my 2007 yesterday and the temperature sensor on mine was a lot larger than an M10. That is the size of the brake bleed valve and I am pretty sure my temp sensor was larger than that. I think it took a 14 or 15 mm socket so I would guess it was at least an M12 if not larger.

Is your sensor brass? When you say Bob's sent the wrong one, how was it wrong? Wrong diameter? Something else?

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,411 Posts
62 16 1 459 270 is the correct PN and price is 39.19. Cold it reads about 690-700 ohms.

Not that it helps now but we recommend you do not follow the manual and remove the sender. Just suck out what you can with a syringe and hose as often the sender breaks when you attempt to remove it.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
7,652 Posts
jzeiler said:
62 16 1 459 270 is the correct PN and price is 39.19. Cold it reads about 690-700 ohms.

Not that it helps now but we recommend you do not follow the manual and remove the sender. Just suck out what you can with a syringe and hose as often the sender breaks when you attempt to remove it.
Interesting, Bob's online system lists it for $22.34. Just checked again to be sure. See the last entry in the screen shot in attached pdf.

I am still curious as to what was wrong with the one that Bob's sent. Given the price difference, maybe they have somehow gotten the wrong part and price associated with their part number.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
7,652 Posts
jzeiler said:

I admit I approached the sensor removal with some trepidation based on what I had read here. However, I looked at mine and it looked clean with no gunk or corrosion around it at all. I put the socket on it and barely pulled on the ratchet when it came loose. It was a piece of cake. I can't image how you could break it taking it out unless it was really corroded due to a serious lack of maintenance.

I fully admit that I tend to remove everything specified for every procedure, mainly to help keep things from getting frozen in place. I remove my oil drain plug every time, even though I know you can drain the LT through the filter cover.

I always use my parking brake on my cars as well. People tell me I will wear out the cables, but I have found that the cables will fail from rust LONG before they will fail from wear.

Just my philosophy. Most things I know fail from lack of use more than from overuse, including our bodies and minds! :)

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,411 Posts
Voyager said:
Interesting, Bob's online system lists it for $22.34. Just checked again to be sure. See the last entry in the screen shot in attached pdf.

I am still curious as to what was wrong with the one that Bob's sent. Given the price difference, maybe they have somehow gotten the wrong part and price associated with their part number.
Quick buy everything you can at Bob's as they are using outdated prices.

Many of these were put in with some sealant and I have seen at least 10 cases of "oops I snapped it off" on this site over the years. I also always use my parking brake, but I don't always take things apart unless I absolutely have to.

·
Premium Member
7,652 Posts
jzeiler said:
Yes, but if the parts don't fit... :)

·
Premium Member
7,652 Posts
jzeiler said:

Many of these were put in with some sealant and I have seen at least 10 cases of "oops I snapped it off" on this site over the years. I also always use my parking brake, but I don't always take things apart unless I absolutely have to.
I saw no evidence of any sealant or thread lock on mine. The seal appears to be solely the copper washer. Mine came out easily and went back in easily and was torqued just shy of the specified 9 Nm.

The hardest part was removing the electrical connector with the combination of the rubber boot and my fat fingers. R&R of the sensor itself was a complete non-event.

I am pretty sure mine had not been removed since the factory installed it. I wonder if some dealerships or DIY owners have felt that the copper gasket wasn't sufficient and used locktite or thread sealant. I could see that causing trouble.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks everyone.
Contacted Bob's about the wrong part problem, supposedly they are going to send out the right one on Monday. Right now I am going to put in the one from NAPA and get ohm and voltage readings at different temps as I have a hand held electronic temp probe. When the new BMW one comes in, I will do it again to get a comparison of the two.

My old one is a brass body as is the one from NAPA. I snapped it off by using it as a drain plug. It took 5 flush cycles to get the water to run clean. On the last install is when it snapped. Probably my 9 Newton Meter right arm needed a recalibration. Yes, I did go and purchase a new 3/8 drive torque wrench of the proper range. WE are not going to brake these little parts again.

·
Premium Member
7,652 Posts
falcon1200lt said:
Thanks everyone.
Contacted Bob's about the wrong part problem, supposedly they are going to send out the right one on Monday. Right now I am going to put in the one from NAPA and get ohm and voltage readings at different temps as I have a hand held electronic temp probe. When the new BMW one comes in, I will do it again to get a comparison of the two.

My old one is a brass body as is the one from NAPA. I snapped it off by using it as a drain plug. It took 5 flush cycles to get the water to run clean. On the last install is when it snapped. Probably my 9 Newton Meter right arm needed a recalibration. Yes, I did go and purchase a new 3/8 drive torque wrench of the proper range. WE are not going to brake these little parts again.
Yes, I believe the specified torque for this sensor is 9 Nm which is onlhy 6.6 lb-ft which is precious little. I use my 3/8" 30 Nm full-scale torque wrench for such fittings and it works great. I have yet to overtorque a fastener with it. I use my 1/2" wrench for anything above 30 Nm.

Did Bob's seem to know why they shipped you the wrong part to start with? I've had great luck with Bob's thus far.

·
Registered
423 Posts
I snapped mine off too, reinstalling it by over torqueing it. Bought a new from from local dealer and torqued it properly, but it leaked. Added some high temp teflon tape and now it's good at reccomended torque. Good luck.

·
Enjoy The Ride
3,994 Posts
I have flushed many LT's and have always drained the coolant by removing the sensor. I have never looked up the torque to reinstall the sensor. I have always just snugged it back up by feel. As far as removing all the air from the system I squeeze the lower radiator hose until all the air bubbles are gone before I install the radiator cap on.

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
Voyager said:

They probably sent him the coolant temp sensor for an airhead!

I'm sorry. I just couldn't pass this one up. WAY too easy!

Loren

1 - 14 of 14 Posts