BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been having a problem when i take off from a dead stop and then going into a tight curve. The front wheell kind of folds towards the bike causing me to drop it once and since then if i don't really muscle it through the curve the front wheel starts to fold. I spoke to BMW and they suggested that i replace the front wheel dampner on my 2002 LT and replace it with a 2007. I gather there are some technology changes that would help me with my problem. Anyone heard of this or is the BMW parts guy just trying to make his sales quota?

VernRuth

·
Registered
1999 LTC
14,458 Posts
VernRuth said:
I've been having a problem when i take off from a dead stop and then going into a tight curve. The front wheell kind of folds towards the bike causing me to drop it once and since then if i don't really muscle it through the curve the front wheel starts to fold. I spoke to BMW and they suggested that i replace the front wheel dampner on my 2002 LT and replace it with a 2007. I gather there are some technology changes that would help me with my problem. Anyone heard of this or is the BMW parts guy just trying to make his sales quota?

VernRuth
Vern, I'm not convinced that a steering damper replacement is the proper solution inthis instance; especially when the bike's forward motion is rather slow at take-off. My suggestion would be (unless the BMW person you spoke with rode your bike in order to make his suggestion) to find some other LT riders in your area who you can hook-up with at a convenient destination and trade observations about take-off examples; riding styles; bike-to-bike on-site behavior, etc. You are in the 'hood of some seasoned LT riders who may just have the solution to your problem, given the opportunity to have a real-time look and discussion with you. HTH, Vern. Good luck.

·
Premium Member
4,883 Posts
tire pressure

I know it's obvious, but I too had a problem that the shops diagnosed as front steering dampener problem. Turned out my back tire was low. Funny how that made such a steering difference to the front end. Only had the problem at low speed. Above 10 MPH problem went away.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I had new 880's put on about 500 miles ago and noticed that the tension under the seat was set to max. I turned it down to 1 up and i put 50 lbs in the rear tire and 46 in the front hoping for a better roll on take off. All i know is the bike is a real pain in the butt taking off.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts