BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all! brand new here and a new K1200lt owner. I have had my 2000 for a couple months and just getting to ride her regular. I was having a hard time getting the tank full when I would put gas in it?? Anyway a friend of mine suggested I put on the center stand to fill up. Well needless to say, I was not practiced putting it up and on a slippery surface, and definitely not used to the weight and she got away from me and fell into the pump. :frown: Didn't break the glass, but did break the arms attaching the windshield to the adjusting rail. So, from what I can tell, BMW wants $700 for the assembly!!!! Does anyone have one or pieces of one, or even a purchase alternative site?? Thank you for any assistance.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Try Beemer Boneyard. Great people! Fuel your LT on the side stand. It's designed for that. Filler is on the high side when she's on the side stand.

Reactions: fireaxefd

·
Registered
332 Posts
There's a thread on this forum right now titled "going to part her out". Sounds like your answer!

·
Registered
The Villages, FL
2,601 Posts
Sorry about your windshield, but just fill the bike on its side stand. What are you going to cram in the tank by putting it on its center stand, .2 gallon? That might get you a whole ten extra miles per tankful, plus you take the chance of plugging the charcoal canister by over filling.

·
Premium Member
7,623 Posts
Hi all! brand new here and a new K1200lt owner. I have had my 2000 for a couple months and just getting to ride her regular. I was having a hard time getting the tank full when I would put gas in it?? Anyway a friend of mine suggested I put on the center stand to fill up. Well needless to say, I was not practiced putting it up and on a slippery surface, and definitely not used to the weight and she got away from me and fell into the pump. :frown: Didn't break the glass, but did break the arms attaching the windshield to the adjusting rail. So, from what I can tell, BMW wants $700 for the assembly!!!! Does anyone have one or pieces of one, or even a purchase alternative site?? Thank you for any assistance.
Don't listen to friends unless they are here in the forum or very experienced LT owners.:smile:

I think a few folks have made their own arms in the past, but it has been a while since I have seen that discussed. Might want to consider that or see if a local machine shop could make them. Might be less than $700.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks! Just seems like I would fill it up, and even see the gas at the top, that when I got going down the road it would only read around 3/4?? And around 200 mi I would start looking for a station. He was telling me he was getting 250 per tank. So IdK. thought I would give it a shot. I let it get tipped too far and forgot how dang heavy it was. :-(

·
Registered
375 Posts
Hi test it again. Take a small can with you and you are safe.
The small link arms I made them my self. Take 5mm Aluminum sheet and cut it out with a saw and dremel tool if you don't have a mill. The hex wish fit on the shaft is made with a hexagon wrench that size. Drill a hole of the wench size, I think 10 mm and push the Hex wrench through.

Hope this helps you, Manfred

·
Registered
27 Posts
Hi fireaxefd,

Wow! its a small world. The EXACT same thing happened to me this weekend! I HATE IT when that happens and ya, all I've seen so far is freakin $790!!! unreal. Anyway, did you ever find a solution? Like you, motor works fine and the shield is reusable but the arms/hinges that move the shield up and down, DONE. Man, this really sucks!

Cheers!

·
Registered
183 Posts
Thanks! Just seems like I would fill it up, and even see the gas at the top, that when I got going down the road it would only read around 3/4?? And around 200 mi I would start looking for a station. He was telling me he was getting 250 per tank. So IdK. thought I would give it a shot. I let it get tipped too far and forgot how dang heavy it was. :-(
A couple things to check concerning the fuel level reading. Shine a light in the tank with the key turned on (don't start the bike) and see if the gas is churning/moving. If it is you have a hole in one of the fuel filter hoses. This can cause mpg to drop and I suspect it may affect the gas gauge reading.
If it doesn't appear to be moving you may have a dent in your fuel level sending unit causing the float to stop at a lower level. It's an easy fix and plenty of threads about both subjects here.

·
Registered
4,356 Posts
Welcome from Sugar Hill, just around the corner. To get the tank full, you need to fill it on the side stand. be careful because if you over fill it, it can overflow into the charcoal canister under the rear top case, clogging it as mentioned already. The result of this is as the fuel is pumped out, the fuel tank is drawn in and collapses and can cause damage to the fuel gauge sending unit inside the tank and then your gauge usually doesn't work well, if at all. It can also cause vacuum lock for your fuel pump. the symptom of a clogged canister is a wooshing of air into the tank when you remove the cap to fill up. There is a procedure called a canisterektomy where it is removed and any overflow is directed out the back behind the rear tire and most that have had their bikes for any amount of time or have joined this forum as you have, have done this as a matter of practice.

Here is a link to a thread that has the listed instructions.

http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/k1200lt/102746-canisterectomy-how.html

1 - 10 of 10 Posts