BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just noticed that the low beam is out on my headlamp. I am now riding on the high beam(to remain legal) and two PIAAS mounted on the fairing aside the front forks.

I have spent some time on the WEB looking for an upgrade headlamp but cannot seem to locate one. Anybody got a suggestion for a higher power than stock lamp or know what type lamp it is eg, J, H K?

·
Registered
439 Posts
theverns said:
I just noticed that the low beam is out on my headlamp. I am now riding on the high beam(to remain legal) and two PIAAS mounted on the fairing aside the front forks.

I have spent some time on the WEB looking for an upgrade headlamp but cannot seem to locate one. Anybody got a suggestion for a higher power than stock lamp or know what type lamp it is eg, J, H K?
I have put the CQlight H7 5K in my 02 and it turns night into day.
I have been using it for 2 years now with no problems.

http://www.cqlight.ca

Also search the forums lots of LT GT have upgraded to HIDs

·
Registered
4,404 Posts
HID conversion of the low beam was/is the standard upgrade to improve LT lighting. Lots of info in here. The kits and suppliers have changed since I did my 2000. I am sure it has gotten easier, as in those days we had to modifiy things a bit. Today I'm pretty sure there is a "plug n' play" kit available.
Others will have specifics....

·
Registered
786 Posts
I also went with the CQ H7 5k light. Some of the best money spent on the bike!
I now ride with all lights on - all the time, Motolights too, and no one has yet to flash back at me. Very pleased!! Also installed the Autoswitch for the Motolights, another great investment, IMO.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I to am looking at the CQ HID headlamp for my 2000 K1200LT but don't know which light kit to look at. Does anyone know the difference between the H7 5000 kit and the 6500 kit? Sounds like most go with the 5000 kit.
Thanks,
John

·
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car
8,602 Posts
wsp310 said:
I to am looking at the CQ HID headlamp for my 2000 K1200LT but don't know which light kit to look at. Does anyone know the difference between the H7 5000 kit and the 6500 kit? Sounds like most go with the 5000 kit.
Thanks,
John
Go with the 5000 light the 6500 will be to "BLUE"

·
Registered
103 Posts
Thanks Steve. And to the rest with help on our rides. The support is what turned me to a BMW. CQ H7 5000 it is!
John Jones

·
Registered
103 Posts
I read all the threads for my bike and one of the things that I noticed was the poor lighting for such a vehicle with so many safety features. Well after reading here I decided on the CQ HID H7 5000 light. I ordered it on the 28th in the morning, (under $90.00) and free shipping. I just received it today. THATS ONLY TWO DAYS WITH FREE SHIPPING!!!! WOW! I'll be putting it on tomorrow... Read all the threads and viewed the comments and pictures. It looks complete but minus a good set of instructions. However thats covered here. Still looks well built.

·
Registered
360 Posts
wsp310 said:
I read all the threads for my bike and one of the things that I noticed was the poor lighting for such a vehicle with so many safety features. Well after reading here I decided on the CQ HID H7 5000 light. I ordered it on the 28th in the morning, (under $90.00) and free shipping. I just received it today. THATS ONLY TWO DAYS WITH FREE SHIPPING!!!! WOW! I'll be putting it on tomorrow... Read all the threads and viewed the comments and pictures. It looks complete but minus a good set of instructions. However thats covered here. Still looks well built.
Let us know how the mounting went

·
Registered
461 Posts
I think 99-04's take one H7 and one H3 .Installed ballast box behind black tupperware liners ,just in front of radiators .with a dab of silicone seal to hold it in place.Went with 5000K as it looked the whitest .

Bob G
99LT

·
Human Behaviour Analyst
267 Posts
Upgrade to Xenon HID ... soon

That's the light Ernesto. I did both the H7 Low Beam and the H3 High Beam. Incredible ..... :eek: did I mention they are amazing ....... :eek:

Do the HID upgrade -- it is the best money I have EVER spent on an upgrade or farkle bar none ! Improves not only how well you see but also improves how well cagers see us coming. As we all know -- they continue to turn left in front of bikes with GREAT regularity.

I chose the Xenon that burns at 6500 and I think my high beam is even slightly bluer. I like the way it makes your headlights stand out from all the others (easier for cars to see it ... :think: )

Just did my son's 07 Kawasaki Ninja this week. Amazing change.

Keir

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
I went with the HID two years ago and regretted not doing the upgarde earlier. With what ever kit you purchase, be sure to use Messy13's picture perfect directions.

They can be found here.

I printed them out and had no problems with my install and their is no way I could be mistaken for a mechanic!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Thanks a lot to all who provided valuable information on the light. Definitely appreciate it and am looking forward to ordering/installing the light and reaping the benefits. Ernie

·
Registered
103 Posts
Hi Folks,

I bought the CQ H7 5000K light last week and did the change over on Thursday. Should only take an hour once you find your 1" drill bit. On the back of the dust cover, there is a 1" circle that makes a perfect template for where to drill. Also the CQ comes with a clear plastic cover over the bulb that you should take off before you begin to assemble. (Wish I did). That way you don't have to take everything apart again. In one thread I saw where someone cut slits into the grommet to pass the spade connectors through but I found that the connectors will just push through once you poke a hole in it. It also seals better after I pushed them through.

I wiped the bulb off with alcohol and turned it on before inserting it into the lens housing. Such a nice WHITE light that it was hard to look away and took some time to get my vision back. It was like seeing someone stick weld. When you look through the lens to put the bulb in, line it up so the power wire alongside the bulb in on the bottom, the 6 o'clock position.

Took it out for a ride and WOW. Talk about a difference. I live in WI and our most dangerous time to ride is dusk when the deer are out. 100+ riders were killed last year alone. This make a significant difference and lights up the sides like nothing else. Will be looking at replacing the high beam soon. Total cost under $90.00.

BTW I have to ride a H-D for work and worked quite a few nights. Wished they would put these HID lights in rather than the candles most still seem to use.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts