BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was out for ride and stopped for coffee. When I went to start it there was no power. I bump started the bike and rode for a few minutes when I noticed the the heat needle was way past red line. I pulled over and let it sit for an hour to cool down. When I tried to start it still no power and when I hit the starter button the light go off, weird eh!
Anybody have any ideas what the problem is?
Jimmy Mac

·
Premium Member
2011 R1200RT
8,175 Posts
How old is your battery? If near 5 years you may be due for a replacement. The bike electronics do funny things when the battery is weak...

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Battery is old and has not been holding a charge very well lately. Probably the place to start.
Thanks

·
Premium Member
3,108 Posts
Easy to trouble shoot. Try jump starting it. If it works, you likely need a new battery. Jumping it with a car battery will not harm it. Also, your headlamp is supposed to go out when you press the starter. My guess is that you have the upgraded starter relay and it is cutting off the starter due to low voltage.

·
Premium Member
3,549 Posts
Typically when my battery starts nearing replacement time the starter sounds just a little different, a little bit slower.

Bob

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Charged the battery and it seemed to take the charge. Still nothing but a click when I try the starter. Despite this might it still be the battery. If not any suggestions what else to try.

·
Premium Member
7,622 Posts
Charged the battery and it seemed to take the charge. Still nothing but a click when I try the starter. Despite this might it still be the battery. If not any suggestions what else to try.
Jump it from a car as someone mentioned earlier. Use large cables. That will definitively rule the battery out.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Put a volt meter on it when starting, shouldn't go below 10 vdc.

Good battery without starting = 12.4-12.8 vdc.

·
Premium Member
3,549 Posts
Turn key ON, everything lights up, hit starter button hear a click and all the lights go out=dead battery.

since u have an 00 u must be careful if the defective starter relay hasn't been replace, it will weld closed when the voltage gets too low.

Reports were that it could be freed back to open with repeated attemps at hitting it after disconnecting the battery. Other wize people used after market relays from autos and made up their own wiring harness. the BMW up grade involves more than replacing just the relay and very expensive.
Bob

·
Registered
4 Posts
I had exactly the same problem, replicating every symptom. I am not mechanical, so when I broke down (2002 LT) the bike was trucked to a BMW dealership. Providing I have been given the right information by the dealership it was a loose starter motor connection. Initially the dealership presumed it was a battery which they replaced. It made no difference, so the old battery was re-fitted. On close inspection the loose connection was found, and tightened. Fault cured!
In the year since there has been no repetition.
Hope this helps.
Phil

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Phil
Wow this is great info. I will track down the loose connection and hope that does the trick. Any idea where the connection was? There is a ground wire on the starter or was it at one of the two relays.

Thanks for the help.
Jim

·
Premium Member
3,108 Posts
Did you try jump starting it? If not, do so. If it jump starts, you need to replace your battery. If it does not jump start, continue your trouble shooting unless you just like chasing your tail. If you like chasing your tail, continue trouble shooting before you try jump starting it. That's as plain as I can make it.

·
Premium Member
7,622 Posts
Did you try jump starting it? If not, do so. If it jump starts, you need to replace your battery. If it does not jump start, continue your trouble shooting unless you just like chasing your tail. If you like chasing your tail, continue trouble shooting before you try jump starting it. That's as plain as I can make it.
Given that he has ignored this suggestion at least twice now, it is clear he likes chasing his tail.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Indeed I tried a booster (jump start at a motorcycle shop) without success. Also I put a voltage meter on the battery and it reads 12.7. I haven't jump started it from a car. Is this different from the booster? I had ruled out the battery as the problem. Are you suggesting that despite this it could still be the battery.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
As suggested try jumper cables to your car battery, it's real simple

·
Premium Member
3,108 Posts
Didn't mean to be snippy, but we didn't know you had tried a jump start. I would try jumping it from a car to be sure. If that doesn't work, you are probably looking the right direction. Your main ground lug is just in front of and below the battery. Easy access by removing the left foot peg holder plate or removing the battery and bending a wrench to check tightness.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
If the jumper test from your car battery does not work you can check for 12 volts at the tie point directly behind battery, the smaller wire from the starter relay comes out of the wiring harness on the right side and connects there, when you push the starter button with key on you should see the voltage, if you hear the relay click but no voltage the relay contact might be bad.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts