BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK guys, I bought this bike 5/11/12 with 7,923 miles and as of 6/27/12 I have 14,051 miles. In Colorado while pulling my Bunkhouse (solo) through the passes I managed to scrape the centerstand on both sides. Later while chauffeuring the wife around on a photo expedition the scraping was worse. This continued after the MOA National in Missouri while riding the twisties in Arkansas. It got so bad that I ripped off my brand new Ilium Works sidestand foot (I found it in the middle of a curve on the way back from a beer run to Big Flat Arkansas). Now for the pertinent information. Stock suspension, pre-load adjuster fully tightened, tires full (42F 48R). What are your suggestions (remember that I'm a cheap bastard)? I will assume I need to add oil to the adjuster but what else will give me the most bang for the buck? I just can't see dropping $1,500.00 - $1,700.00 on Ohlin's on a bike with this low mileage (besides I only paid $6,950.00 for the bike (Remember the cheap bastard statement?)). Help me guys!

Thanks, Robert

·
Registered
998 Posts
Hyperpro springs good option - the shock part of your struts should be fine - mine like new at 50K miles

·
Registered
876 Posts
My '05 is a lovely bike - a given, however, we tour fully loaded and maxxed out at 600 Kg. The back end is far too soft in standard trim and scraping really annoys and can be a safety issue if cornering and you run out of lean angle (worse with EHCS). Hyperpro springs appear to be a solution reading on here, however I went for the Wilbers option front and rear. Cheap bastard or not, I guarantee you will smile when they are fitted and you feel the difference, and the pleasure will last long after the $$$ are forgotten about. My opinion only, it comes down to finances of course.

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
mwnahas said:
have you tried refilling the preload adjuster?

Not yet, but that is in the works. I'm just thinking that after 12 years the spring has sagged somewhat. It is a straight rate spring is it not?
Robert

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
gary45 said:
Hyperpro springs good option - the shock part of your struts should be fine - mine like new at 50K miles
Part #s and supplier please. Also anyone have drawings for a spring compressor? Front and rear both.

Thanks, Robert.

·
Premium Member
1,595 Posts
The cheap way out is new springs, there have been a few folks here that use Hyperpro springs and think they do the job quite well. EPM performance imports here carries them, you will need to call and have them select the spring right for your use. Then you will either have them install or find a local shop that can swap the coils for you.

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
K100Dennis said:
My '05 is a lovely bike - a given, however, we tour fully loaded and maxxed out at 600 Kg. The back end is far too soft in standard trim and scraping really annoys and can be a safety issue if cornering and you run out of lean angle (worse with EHCS). Hyperpro springs appear to be a solution reading on here, however I went for the Wilbers option front and rear. Cheap bastard or not, I guarantee you will smile when they are fitted and you feel the difference, and the pleasure will last long after the $$$ are forgotten about. My opinion only, it comes down to finances of course.

Thanks, Dennis. Finances are a bit tight at the moment as I am also paying for a new to me tractor. Wife said BACK OFF! I need to sell my old tractor and my '94 K1100LT and probably the 1986 R65 also. (The '76 R90S and the '81 R80GS STAY.)

Robert

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
johnbaker15 said:
The cheap way out is new springs, there have been a few folks here that use Hyperpro springs and think they do the job quite well. EPM performance imports here carries them, you will need to call and have them select the spring right for your use. Then you will either have them install or find a local shop that can swap the coils for you.
Thanks, John. I live out in the boonies. The only local dealer is a Yamaha/Suzuki shop. I can build a spring compressor if I have drawings/specs. I have lathes, mill, TIG and MIG welders etc. I have the tools and I'm not afraid to use them.

Robert

·
Registered
998 Posts

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

·
Registered
998 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
Spring UP or Weight down ... as in diet some :eek:

Remembering the "Cheap Bastard Part" ... eating less and bulking down save moneys needed for upgrading to better WILBERS shocks.

I figure this no help what so ever ... But hey, got what ya paid for ya cheap bastard :p

All in fun,
Scott

·
Premium Member
2,085 Posts
Scouter-50 said:
Thanks, John. I live out in the boonies. The only local dealer is a Yamaha/Suzuki shop. I can build a spring compressor if I have drawings/specs. I have lathes, mill, TIG and MIG welders etc. I have the tools and I'm not afraid to use them.

Robert
Robert,
I have the spring compressor that Mike Haughty made. You met him at
The Tech Session.
I also have a set of shocks with Hyperpro springs you are welcome to borrow.

Dan Martin

·
Registered
62 Posts
An even cheaper way to help that weak spring is to disassemble the rear shock and add steel washers to the bottom between the bottom spring seat and spring- I just did this on a buddy's 01'. Found the washers in a truck shop, put three of them in there to 'preload' the sping about 1/2 of an inch. Worked beautifully! I was surprised at how well, on standard setting the sidestand was perfectly flat. PS I used a shop press to compress the spring and disassemble.

·
Registered
228 Posts
You will be surprised how just adding oil to the shock will help.
Mine had no resistance when turning the adjuster and I didn't know the diff till I read on here about it!
I have yet to scrape now in turns with 2 up even..but together we we only weigh in at around 300...this bike rocks!

On another note I seen my first 1600 tonight down at a hang put at the beach..holy cow that thing really rocks!

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
motorhead said:
Spring UP or Weight down ... as in diet some :eek:

Remembering the "Cheap Bastard Part" ... eating less and bulking down save moneys needed for upgrading to better WILBERS shocks.

I figure this no help what so ever ... But hey, got what ya paid for ya cheap bastard :p

All in fun,
Scott

Hey! I'm down to 241. That's not too bad for 6'2" and 60 years old! I really did laugh out loud at your post Scott. Cheap bastards forever!

Robert

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
DanMartin said:
Robert,
I have the spring compressor that Mike Haughty made. You met him at
The Tech Session.
I also have a set of shocks with Hyperpro springs you are welcome to borrow.

Dan Martin

Thanks, Dan. The only problem with borrowing shocks is that I hate doing a job twice. When I make up my mind which direction to go (and when I have the money) I'll look into borrowing the compressor. BTW I did enjoy the tech session.
Robert

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
aztechmaster said:
An even cheaper way to help that weak spring is to disassemble the rear shock and add steel washers to the bottom between the bottom spring seat and spring- I just did this on a buddy's 01'. Found the washers in a truck shop, put three of them in there to 'preload' the sping about 1/2 of an inch. Worked beautifully! I was surprised at how well, on standard setting the sidestand was perfectly flat. PS I used a shop press to compress the spring and disassemble.
Sounds good. Appeals to my cheapness. I do have a lathe and could make a one piece ring.

Robert

·
Registered
517 Posts
I've had my K1200LT for about 20 months. Had 19,324 on her when I got it and now it's over 49,6xx. I had a little problem of scraping things for the first months of learning to ride it. When the wife and I rode double I had to turn the preload adjuster almost all the way down and is was still bad on her back when we hit RR tracks or a hard bump. Then I read the article on checking and refilling the preload adjuster. Cleaned mine and did the refill as per articles on this site. Made all the difference in the world on my bike. Now with her on the bike I only go one notch past the red middle marker and that is a good ride for us.

I'm 191 lbs tonight and the wife is 160 or so and we pull a Hannigan Europa trailer. I run Metzler ME880's at 42 and 48 as per this site and I'm on the shocks that came on it in '99. These shocks may be weak, I don't know, but they don't feel like it and this bike rides and handles head and shoulders above my '02 GL1800.

I'm also a fairly cheap one and I figure that a few oz of fluid and a little time is much easier on the wallet than new springs and/or shocks.

Just my thoughts... your mileage might vary -

1 - 20 of 50 Posts