BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

2000 K1200LT--should I buy?

4K views 34 replies 26 participants last post by  alvingee43 
#1 ·
I owned a 2006 K1200LT then sold it for a GS---a decision I have regretted. I came across a 2000 K1200LT with 14,000 miles on it in excellent shape. It is all stock and a maroon red in color. I am considering buying it.

My question is whether having owned the 2006 with more power, extended front forks and other changes, would I be disappointed in the 2000? The price is around 8500.00 which seems to be in the ball park. Even though I have newer bikes, I like the idea of an LT for two up.

Was the 2000 year ok for ABS? Any other issues? I will be test driving it this week. It is in such clean condition it is worth exploring.

scout
2007 K1200GT
2007 R1200S

#2 ·
I have a 2000 and the only thing that I would be worried about is the final drive and abs pump, both are expensive repairs. Again I have a 2000, and the $8500 seems too high. I would think that the low 7's is a better price. Just my $.02.

#3 ·
2000 Klt

That "maroon" color is called Canyon Red. Long ago established as the fastest color. ;)

I need to do the 60,000 mile service on my Canyon Red 2000 KLT this winter. I have done my own maintenance and have done a "preemptive" rebuild of the final drive (who knows if it would have failed or not). I have had no significant problems with the bike and would not trade it for a newer one.
I would trade it for the bike you are looking at though.

If you are comfortable with the price I would have no reservations about the bike. With 14K miles it is practically new.

#5 ·
I purchased a used 2000 LT with 32K on it. ONly trouble that I have had is with rear brake pads not lasting very long. Went through a set of EBC pads in only 5000 miles. Think that I have rectified the problem as per technical data on this web site. Hey, if nothing else, your insurance rates should be lower on the older LT!!! Go for it!!!!

#6 ·
mtrevelino said:
I have a 2000 and the only thing that I would be worried about is the final drive and abs pump, both are expensive repairs. Again I have a 2000, and the $8500 seems too high. I would think that the low 7's is a better price. Just my $.02.
ABS pump?? I have an 01 and do not remember anything about a pump in our ABS system. Have I missed something?

The fact that my bike does not have the power assisted brakes is one of the things I like about it.

#8 ·
mtrevelino said:
Again I have a 2000, and the $8500 seems too high. I would think that the low 7's is a better price. Just my $.02.
I agree that the price seems high for the vintage, even with the low mileage. You should have some room for negotiation, and remember... this is a business transaction, so don't get emotionally attached. You can always get attached once you own the bike.;) I would not spend more than $7,500. Does the bike come with a communication system, or GPS? Auxiliary lights?
The riding season is over for many people and you will find that there are many bikes on the market making it a buyer's market. Check eBay prices an get an idea of what LTs sell for at this time of year. This might be time well spent.

#9 · (Edited)
I'd say $8500 is way too high. If I had a GT in the garage and still wanted an LT, I would get one with high mileage and for cheap. I think I saw one on cycle trader the other day in CA. But, I'm cheap so it may not apply to you. :)

I bought mine with 30,000 miles in June for $7,500 and now has little over 40,000. I don't think miles matter too much on these bikes. My 1100LT has 90,000 and runs like it did when I bought her.

#10 ·
Scout,

I had a 2005 Model LT and went to a Dual Sport also which I am very happy with, but if my SO decides to give up her own bike I WOULD BE LOOKING for a 2000-2004 model LT. I like the idea of a REAL Manual center stand (Less to go wrong) and decided I like the ANALOG gauges better than the computer style like we had and the OLDER WIDER seat is a decided plus for me also.

I rode my buddies 2003 and I cannot discern any difference in handling,
SO yes I would buy a 2000 over a newer one for both the cost and the older style which I now prefer!

#13 ·
Lee, Your bike has ABS II and I think it really is a pump even though BMW calls it a Hydro unit. When standing on the right side of the of a '99 to '01 bike with the seat up, it is the unit that is closest to you. Here's a direct lift of part number and price from the fiche at Max BMW.

34512333232 hydro unit - Up to 11/2000 1 $1,900.00

Guess why most people go looking for a used one instead of buying it new? :eek:

#15 ·
2000 K1200lt

Go For it!! :D I would buy the bike. I have a 2000 myself and I don't worry about all the negative things said about the earlier models. No problems so far. There is always room for negotiation over the price. One thing about the 2000 you can service the brakes yourself with no trouble because you don't have to purged the whole system, just drain the fluid from the brake reservoirs. You can shop around for a cheaper bike but then again you can buy a lemon. Whose to say? :dance:

#18 ·
I would run away from that bike. The mileage is way too low for a 7 to 8 year old bike.

I'll bet it has been sitting around for a long, long time with no use. Those seals are going to leak.. I'll bet you. And considering the price, that sure is no deal at all..

Let's see, 1200 - 1500 for a rear main seal.
Another 500 -700 for the transmission shaft seals
Leaky slave cylinder..... Etc...
If clutch goes from contamination because of the seals big, big bucks....
Front fork seals 400+..
No warranty, no extended warranty????

What other seals can go??

I wouldn't buy it. Lts are known to have these kinds of problems from sitting around with low mileage and no consistent use.

My '03 started with 800 miles almost 3 years ago. I got a steel. Fortunately the extended warranty covered about 2500.00 worth of repairs.

Get a newer bike. Or get a bike with that age that has been ridden with alot higher mileage. Oh, maybe 40 to 50K ...

But, by all means stay away from that one.. You are asking for trouble in my opinion.

#19 ·
rglassma said:
I would run away from that bike. The mileage is way too low for a 7 to 8 year old bike.

I'll bet it has been sitting around for a long, long time with no use. Those seals are going to leak.. I'll bet you. And considering the price, that sure is no deal at all..

Let's see, 1200 - 1500 for a rear main seal.
Another 500 -700 for the transmission shaft seals
Leaky slave cylinder..... Etc...
If clutch goes from contamination because of the seals big, big bucks....
Front fork seals 400+..
No warranty, no extended warranty????

What other seals can go??

I wouldn't buy it. Lts are known to have these kinds of problems from sitting around with low mileage and no consistent use.

My '03 started with 800 miles almost 3 years ago. I got a steel. Fortunately the extended warranty covered about 2500.00 worth of repairs.

Get a newer bike. Or get a bike with that age that has been ridden with alot higher mileage. Oh, maybe 40 to 50K ...

But, by all means stay away from that one.. You are asking for trouble in my opinion.
Well thanks for the confidence! I just bought a similar bike, same color, year and mileage a couple of weeks ago for $8400 here in Northern VA. I guess I paid too much. Anyway, I've put 500 miles on it so far and about to take it in for annual servicing. No problems so far. I'll be saving up for the future repairs though.

-Kimo

#20 ·
kimokk said:
Well thanks for the confidence! I just bought a similar bike, same color, year and mileage a couple of weeks ago for $8400 here in Northern VA. I guess I paid too much. Anyway, I've put 500 miles on it so far and about to take it in for annual servicing. No problems so far. I'll be saving up for the future repairs though.

-Kimo
You might want to save up for that service. Or do it yourself and save a ton of money.

#21 ·
2000 Ltc

I bought my 2000 champagne LTC last August with 11K miles for $11,000.00. It was a decent price for a very clean bike in this area. Came with the 6 change CD player, helmets intercom, fog lights, new Metzlers.

Seemed to be in the ball park out here in the southwest.

Spent just under a grand on the 12K service.

Other than the smoke and the side kick stand issue, I really like this older model.

What I am curious about is the "C". What is the difference/designation of the "C" ?

#22 ·
KIC said:
I bought my 2000 champagne LTC last August with 11K miles for $11,000.00. It was a decent price for a very clean bike in this area. Came with the 6 change CD player, helmets intercom, fog lights, new Metzlers.

Seemed to be in the ball park out here in the southwest.

Spent just under a grand on the 12K service.

Other than the smoke and the side kick stand issue, I really like this older model.

What I am curious about is the "C". What is the difference/designation of the "C" ?
The "C" designation is the custom model. For model year '00 there were three models: standard, Icon, and Custom. The Custom comes with almost all options: 6 CD changer, intercom, heated seats and passenger backrest, to name a few.

HTH,

#23 ·
kimokk said:
The "C" designation is the custom model. For model year '00 there were three models: standard, Icon, and Custom. The Custom comes with almost all options: 6 CD changer, intercom, heated seats and passenger backrest, to name a few.

HTH,
"C" doesn't come with intercom standard, But does come with Chrome.

#24 ·
2000 Lt

I bought 2000 LTC for 9200 two years ago. 13K MI in perfect shape. So not sure, but 8500 might be a tad high. Maybe 8K. Is it local? Let's go talk to the guy!
I love mine, although a little pissed that my ABS lights come on, when ever my battery goes low, and I can't get them to go off without going to ride west and contribute 40.00!

larry

#25 ·
Stoker100 said:
I love mine, although a little pissed that my ABS lights come on, when ever my battery goes low, and I can't get them to go off without going to ride west and contribute 40.00!

larry
After you have the battery charged up
Shut the bike on and off 3 times.
Then take some of the bread you were gonna pay ride west and support the site where you learned to save that money:D
Rock

#26 ·
kimokk said:

-Kimo
I don't think you paid too much!! You should learn to do as much service on the bike as you can though. You not only save yourself some money but you also get to know the bike better. I change all the fluids/fuel filter/air filter/spark plugs. I leave the engine for the dealer. :dance:

By the way; That is one beautiful bike!! :D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.