BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My LT has developed an oil leak at the oil pan. It appears there is a bolt missing. Please see the pictures attached. I have circled the location of the leak and suspected missing bolt. Can someone please conform that a bolt belongs here? Thanks!

It is the center from hole that appears to be deeper than the others..

Also, what are the torque specs on these bolts?

Thanks, again!

Attachments

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Also, if I am missing this bolt, where can I order? Dealership the best source?

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
That is the drain hole from the space between the water pump and oil pump

How bad is it?

·
Registered
36 Posts
I believe that is weep hole that indicates a water pump, oil pump seal failure. Not a crisis but do a search on this forum for repair info.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks. So if the water pump, that can/would likely go thru that drain hole? Interesting...

Is it bad? Well, It left a decent little puddle following a ride home from the mtns. I've drained the engine, but have not measured the volume... (less the filter). The observation glass was about 25% down when on the center stand. That's bad enough in my book! LOL!

I'll research the water pump seal... Glad I didn't remove the pan yet!

·
Registered
876 Posts
Yes, it's the tell tale hole which alerts to leaking water pump seal or oil pump seal. There is a free space open to atmosphere between the 2 pump units which are incorporated in the 1 housing. The unit bolts to the front of the engine and takes its drive from the engine output shaft (engages in a slot on the end of the shaft). Oil pump is closest to the engine, water pump is at the front. I would be allowing for replacement of the water pump carbon seal assembly when replacing the oil pump seal.

·
Premium Member
3,549 Posts
Also, if I am missing this bolt, where can I order? Dealership the best source?
Its not a special metric which some times you can source from Homedepot or Lowes if they are near you.

you can also order metric on line which I ocassionally do. Unfortunately the fastner holding the tupperware down are NOT standard metric. Only plce I've ever seen them is via dealership.

I order from MAX BMW in NH, discounted prices, friendly service, FAST service mail man picks up from them just before closing.

Bob

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes, it's the tell tale hole which alerts to leaking water pump seal or oil pump seal. There is a free space open to atmosphere between the 2 pump units which are incorporated in the 1 housing. The unit bolts to the front of the engine and takes its drive from the engine output shaft (engages in a slot on the end of the shaft). Oil pump is closest to the engine, water pump is at the front. I would be allowing for replacement of the water pump carbon seal assembly when replacing the oil pump seal.
Thanks Dennis! Great advice!! Looks like a weekend project!

·
Registered
185 Posts
3636, I have a 2001, and what you said about thinking you had an oil pan leak was exactly what I thought! So, tighten the pan bolts,,,,no joy. what my issue turned out to be was a leaking shalft drive o-ring seal near the rear main seal. there were no symptoms of clutch problems as yet, but was planning a long trip in the near future when this was discovered, a rear bummer.

It required the entire tear down, if you do that might as well do the whole enchilada! My clutch was oil soaked only 1/4 inch so there was no slippage as yet. replaced everything,cost the same to get to everything, and parts don't make that much of a difference once inside, ballpark, $2300 total

the oil leakage was actually coming from the bell housing, the oil that was pooling from the leaking o-ring, but it looked like it was coming from the oil pan. this is why the weep hole diy is done by some, so you can see the oil leak before it requires a clutch replacement also.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts