BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So I bought a 2000 about a year ago. i haven't had a chance to ride. The thing is quite dead. I need to know how to charge the battery. I was told there is a charge port that I am supposed to use. I won a battery tender and was thinking maybe just use that. But then i thought, how about I ask before I fry any associated electronics. If someone could point me towards a good DIY I would appreciate it. All I can find are products when I search. Thanks.

Hell I'll be happy if someone can tell me how to get the seat removed. I just tried and I feel like I'm going to break this thing.

·
Registered
3,226 Posts
Good chance your battery is toast and you'll need a new one... do a Search using "battery" and you'll get a million hits, maybe also try "Odyssey" as that seems to be a favoured after market battery

To open the seat, open the left side pannier.. there's a knob near the front edge on the indent in the bodywork... pull that out about an inch, it'll release the latch that holds down the back of the riders seat.
Lift the seat up, it's hinged at the front, battery is directly underneath.

Put your tender on it and see if it does any good overnight....
Someone will chime in with better info on batteries and recovery (or non-recovery) I'm sure..

edit: if the tender is a decent one it won't let you swap pos to neg or vice-a-versa... it'll have a warning light.
Just read the instructions that came with it and use the alligator clips to hook directly to the terminals, pos usually has a black cap over it you have to lift out of the way. Or if it has a powerlet plug male end (eg BMW tender), plug that in the power socket near the footpeg.
You shouldn't fry anything.

cheers

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
OK. Got the seat opened. Previous owner wired a tender terminal to the battery. Battery is dead dead. tender will not start. Any suggestions on what charger I should get? I think I'm going to have to pull the battery and charge it on my bench.

Just saw your reply after posting this. Thanks. Ill look for a battery.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
So I bought a 2000 about a year ago. i haven't had a chance to ride. The thing is quite dead. I need to know how to charge the battery. I was told there is a charge port that I am supposed to use. I won a battery tender and was thinking maybe just use that. But then i thought, how about I ask before I fry any associated electronics. If someone could point me towards a good DIY I would appreciate it. All I can find are products when I search. Thanks.

Hell I'll be happy if someone can tell me how to get the seat removed. I just tried and I feel like I'm going to break this thing.[/QUOT

Open left suit case and at front there is a knob you pull out to release latch, lift rear of front seat while knob pulled out. If the battery has been dead for awhile not likely any good and if you crank it with low voltage you can end up with the starter relay contacts welded together. It is under the gas tank. You can jump start it the same as you would your car.

Hope you have fresh gas in it.

·
Registered
3,226 Posts
Previous owner wired a tender terminal to the battery. Battery is dead dead. tender will not start. Any suggestions on what charger I should get? I think I'm going to have to pull the battery and charge it on my bench.
Not exactly sure what your wording means "tender wont start".. whether the tender won't even begin to go through the charge cycle, or whether you tried to start the bike with the tender attached to the dead battery (I hope not :rolleyes: )
Good that you'll get a new battery :)

What I really want to know is... how you can own an LT for a year and not have ridden it! :bmw:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The tender won't attempt to charge a battery with less than a 3V current. I'm assuming charging a battery that low is risky.

Did not ride it because I did not feel comfortable riding a bike of that size at my skill level. However I had to buy it for the deal I was getting.

·
Premium Member
7,622 Posts
The tender won't attempt to charge a battery with less than a 3V current. I'm assuming charging a battery that low is risky.

Did not ride it because I did not feel comfortable riding a bike of that size at my skill level. However I had to buy it for the deal I was getting.
Voltage and current aren't the same thing. If the battery has sat for a year and discharged that far, it is toast and should be replaced. A weak battery will cause all sorts of grief with the LT. Save yourself some headache and replace the battery.

·
Premium Member
1,305 Posts
The battery that is much below 9v is unlikely to get a charge (pun) from a tender. You might try a 10 amp car charger but ... the battery is gone.

Odyssey is a good battery, but I also like the YT51913-22 Scorpion 12v 255 CCA Sealed AGM Motorcycle Battery from BatteryStuff.com. $89. I don't have any association with these folks, other than being a happy customer.

·
Registered
679 Posts
If you are about saving money, you can get a UB12220 22 amp/hr battery on ebay for 30 or 40 dollars free shipping, fits the LT beautifully. I installed one on my bike last year, and have had no problems with it at all. On another note, if you don't have an owners manual, you might consider finding one to assist you with the controls, buttons, gadgets and gilhickies that abound on the LT, things like the seat release is just the tip of the iceberg. If you are challenged, try to find another LT rider in your area, they would probably be good with coming over and giving you a walk through. Are you planning to ride the bike now? Has you riding experience improved in the last year? To be honest, I came off a 1800 goldwing on to the LT, loved the handling, the ride, but even so, I still had to respect the weight factor, same weight as the goldwing, but a little higher up. The beauty of the bike is that once you get going, the weight just melts away, and the bike is light on the handling and response. If you need to get used to the bike, take it somewhere where you dont have to do a bunch of stopping and tight turning, and slip the clutch, and just go, forget slow and easy, just get moving, when you want to stop, make sure the bike is rolling straight, and apply the brakes, let it stop, and put your feet out. it is heavy, just respect that if the big girl wants to take a nap, step clear, do not try to hold it up, you cant do it! you'll just end up hurting yourself if you do. GOOD LUCK!!!!:bmw:

·
Registered
3,226 Posts
Sounds like you got a great deal and knew what you wanted.... Once you start to get a feel for the LT you'll likely love it... Still think it's the best touring bike out there, and this is the best place to learn how to keep it going!
:wave

·
Registered
224 Posts
If you have a battery that is completely discharged, but not a bad battery, you can charge it by connecting both your battery charger cables and one of those jumpstarter packs to the battery. If your battery is truly dead, it wil show "charged" relatively quick.

On batteries, the gorram BMW dealer in Charlotte sold me this pos battery at a not pos price, it was toast in 2 years, and I kept it charged all the time. Bought a jel battery on Ebay, the Made in America one, and I hope it will last longer. A good battery should give at least 4-5 years of service. I have a 10 year old battery in my VW TDI.

·
Premium Member
630 Posts
My experience, since 2002, is that you will get about three years from a battery on the LT. I fortunate to be able to ride year round so no time sitting on a charger. My first BMW ('85 k100rt) went about 8 years on a Sears diehard lawn tractor battery. Apparently too much drain on the LT to get that life.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts