BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In search of grip replacement options for my K1200LT the factory ones are toast and need full replacements. I ordered a pair of Ariete 01690/F/24 these are supposed to be for heated BMW bike grips and they do not fit. They look close to OEM but no go.

I am already familiar with grip puppies but that is good over an actual grip I need full replacement.

I have found these possible options along with OEM replacements at a hefty price. Please share your grip replacement options below thank you...

·
Registered
573 Posts
I looked for other options, tried several 'solutions', including a tennis racket wrap. I finally broke down and bought the OEM-too much money, but it works. Lots of guys have made do with other solutions, and I'm sure they will join in. I like the look of the OEM-just my .02

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I made the mistake of thinking the Ariete grips I bought did not fit seemed so much smaller then stock but they actually went on no problem once started with some hair spray lubrication.

Now my dilemma is a bar end or cap. I do not like this open ended style of grip anyone have bar ends for their LT?

·
Registered
696 Posts
I made the mistake of thinking the Ariete grips I bought did not fit seemed so much smaller then stock but they actually went on no problem once started with some hair spray lubrication.

Now my dilemma is a bar end or cap. I do not like this open ended style of grip anyone have bar ends for their LT?

View attachment 172420

You could go with an option like this.
Just an after market bar end piece I found on ebay. It was a little bit of a fiddle to fit because the inside dimensions of the LT handle bar is a bit bigger that what these would normally fit but it worked and have never fallen off.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just an after market bar end piece I found on ebay. It was a little bit of a fiddle to fit because the inside dimensions of the LT handle bar is a bit bigger that what these would normally fit but it worked and have never fallen off.
What did you do then to make them fit? Links at all to ebay looks good?

·
Registered
119 Posts

View attachment 172420
That looks like what my mechanic used to do. Carefully slice off the old worn rubber w/o damaging the heating unit underneath. I believe compressed air + some silicone spray lube got the replacements on over the heater coil. I don't remember the ends being open. Maybe a small hole in center. I believe the grips were from an RT or some other model. I imagine you could patch the opening w/ shoe goo or such. First packing some backing support.

·
Registered
696 Posts
What did you do then to make them fit? Links at all to ebay looks good?
If you know how most of these bar ends attach, they use an expanding piece of rubber slightly smaller than the ID of the bar. You tighten the bolt in the end of the bar end and it expands the rubber inside the handle bar to fit tightly. The LT bars are a bit bigger than average so I had to tighten the rubber inserts further than normal.
The rubber grips that I replaced mine with actually came with end caps but I didn't like them so found the bar ends. I don't really have any links but if you just look them up on eBay you will find quite a few. Try to find the ones with the biggest diameter and go for it.
The method I used to replace the grips is identical to what djmellor described. If you put the nozzle of the compressed air at the point where the rubber meets the heater element assembly and work it around the circumference while pushing the grip on you will be surprised at how much easier it is to replace those grips.

·
Registered
49 Posts
For the longest time you could get that 18-rib outer grip from BMW for about $13. I bought and installed lots of them. They work on both sides of all of those early 4V bikes with open-ended heated grips; just carefully cut and peel the old one and slide the new one on with some hair spray. Now they are $30 each... :( Last time I needed some I bought the Ariete ones and they are a very close match. Tiny dimensional differences, but nothing that matters.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts