BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased a 2000 K12LT in NY last Friday with 7900 miles on it. I had the PO change the brake fluid and oil and have the ABS certified by Max BMW before I took delivery. I also changed the tires on my nickel. When I started out on the ride back to Texas the bike started stalling and missing at stoplights. As long as I kept the revs above 3000 it would run. I figured water in the gas and promptly filled up with premium. That seemed to help and I didn't have too much trouble for over 1800 miles. I ran two bottles of Techron through the engine which also seemed to help. My next to last tank of fuel I pushed to 233 miles. The missing came back right before filling up again. When I got home Monday afternoon I purchased some isopropyl alcohol water absorbing snake oil. This seems to have helped. I have half a bottle for the next tank. Now for my question: Do you all think I am on the right track or am I missing something? I figured that this problem was one of old gas/water. There does seem to be a hesitation upon acceleration also. Thanks guys, this forum is great!

·
Registered
14,452 Posts
Hey Robert - if you don't find a solution before next Satiday, get Dan Martin's address from him and bring the bike to his tech session. Grab a set of spark plugs and bring with. Hope you find the problem to be an easy fix!

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Dick, thanks! I plan on being there but I don't know where there is. Forgive the noob question but how do I contact him?
Robert

·
Registered
498 Posts
Here you go Robert,

http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/member.php?u=430

That was under "Member Info"

Click on the link for a "Private Message", and just send a message!

Good Luck!
I wish I could meet you guys there!
Matthew

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Registered
89 Posts
Hi, don't want to send you on a goose chase, but I had a similar problem that turned out to be damaged spark plug leads... Maybe worth a check?

·
Registered
498 Posts
Hopefully it is simple. Since the bike has such low miles, it sat still...ALOT. Hopefully you won't develop any leaks or issues due to dry rot. Please post what fixes your problem!

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Cochinosucio said:
Hopefully it is simple. Since the bike has such low miles, it sat still...ALOT. Hopefully you won't develop any leaks or issues due to dry rot. Please post what fixes your problem!
Thanks, rubber pieces seem to be good, bike is pristine other than this.
Robert

·
Registered
3,089 Posts
A fresh set of plugs can do wonders.

Try a can of Sea Foam. You can get it at NAPA or about any auto parts place. Dump the whole can in, fill it with premium and run it. May consider changing the fuel filter, filter is inside the tank and sort of a pain to get to.

·
Registered
216 Posts
You are on the right track to replace the spark plugs. In addition, I would change out the fuel filter. The nice thing about pulling the tank, is that that you will get all of the gas out. Personally, your air filter will be in great shape -- I have an 05 as well and at 12K miles, I replaced my air filter (last summer), but honestly, it didn't have to be done.

Once your get the bike running well, I would do a complete oil change too. All of that fuel cleaner has deposited a lot of carbon in the oil. And before changing the oil, I would drop some seafoam in the tank and let it idle for 10 minutes or so.

Enjoy your new LT and keep up on your maintenance.

Glenn

PS You might want to replace your spark plugs wires too.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts