BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Changed dead battery in K1200 Lt- now the alarm won't go off so bike will not start. Any help would be much appreciated!

·
Registered
4,241 Posts
You don't have the alarm remote? Its the left button to disarm.

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,254 Posts
Some times you need to hit the disarm and arm buttons on the FOB several times to get the rolling code synced back up following a battery change.

Barring having a FOB it is time to bypass the alarm. Several articles in the Files - Technical section that walk you through it.

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
going to steal your battery thread...or add to it.....I have a BMW gel battery 3 years old.....
always on a BMW battery tender...went to ride it 3 weeks ago....would not start...had enough voltage ???...charged the battery enough to ride the bike....next day the bike would not start again....charged the battery for a couple of hours on a battery charger...disconnected the battery and it has held 12.44 volts for 2 weeks on the bench...going to install the battery this evening, and not put it on the tender,.. if it does not start tomarrow, what should i look for? I have been able to get 5 years on a battery in the past with a regular non gel bettery. anything special about the gel batteries...

thank you it is a 2001 LT 44K

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
loansumrider.............. if it does not start tomarrow said:
Look for a new battery. Because the voltage is good does not mean the battery is capable of delivering the necessary starting current. You could take the charged battery to an auto store and let them load test it. They will hook up a load to the battery and monitor the voltage. My guess is that it will fail.

Lots of batteries out there besides BMW brand that will give you good service and cost far less. Remember that BMW does not manufacture batteries so they are labeling someone elses' product.

Search the forum for the word battery to see what folks are using. A number of the members rant about the Odyssey brand.

Good luck.

Loren

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Everything Loren says ! The load test will tell the true condition. A couple of other things:

> you may have a defective TENDER?

> Check for any loose or corroded connections on the battery and THE OTHER END of each cable both positive and negative.

> You do not need to get a BMW labeled battery and stay away from GEL batteries, get an AGM.

I have recently been seeing more on the SHORAI lithium battery. They are pricey, but small and light weight. Have no idea about longevity though.

·
Registered
634 Posts
jzeiler said:
Some times you need to hit the disarm and arm buttons on the FOB several times to get the rolling code synced back up following a battery change.

Barring having a FOB it is time to bypass the alarm. Several articles in the Files - Technical section that walk you through it.
I often wondered what I would do if I was in east bumf*&% and I had to disconnect the battery for any reason...
and then found out that the battery inside my keyfob had DIED .... :eek:

I guess your screwed until you can find a keyfob battery.... right?

I think I will be looking into disabling the alarm over the winter..... (never use it anyway)

so far I'm still riding everyday.... tuesday morning was the coldest yet....
14 degrees...
but my kilimanjaro suit with heated vest/gloves really kept me warm.

the folks in work think I'm nuts...

they may be correct in their assumptions... :p

But I'm having a good time.

·
Registered
4,241 Posts
johnT said:
I often wondered what I would do if I was in east bumf*&% and I had to disconnect the battery for any reason...
and then found out that the battery inside my keyfob had DIED .... :eek:

I guess your screwed until you can find a keyfob battery.... right?

... :p

But I'm having a good time.
Carry two fobs and/or a spare battery. Leaned my lesson when my remote started to die. Started doing that one day whilst traveling and barely got the remote to disengage the alarm. Rode to Radio Shack left the bike running incase they didn't have the battery, which they did. Bought two.

·
Registered
113 Posts
loansumrider said:
going to steal your battery thread...or add to it.....I have a BMW gel battery 3 years old.....
always on a BMW battery tender...went to ride it 3 weeks ago....would not start...had enough voltage ???...charged the battery enough to ride the bike....next day the bike would not start again....charged the battery for a couple of hours on a battery charger...disconnected the battery and it has held 12.44 volts for 2 weeks on the bench...going to install the battery this evening, and not put it on the tender,.. if it does not start tomarrow, what should i look for? I have been able to get 5 years on a battery in the past with a regular non gel bettery. anything special about the gel batteries...

thank you it is a 2001 LT 44K
Just replaced my 3 year old BMW gel in my 03 LT after it slowly lost its ability to turn over the brick. I'm trying an Odyssey PC680 for $129 with shipping.

·
Registered
634 Posts
Samir said:
Just replaced my 3 year old BMW gel in my 03 LT after it slowly lost its ability to turn over the brick. I'm trying an Odyssey PC680 for $129 with shipping.
sorry I didn't hear this earlier....

I just ordered one yesterday....

Delivery estimate: Jan. 11, 2012 - Jan. 14, 2012
1 "Odyssey PC680-P Battery"
Automotive; $96.25 free shipping
In Stock
Sold by: Amazon.com LLC

·
Registered
3,330 Posts
johnT said:

In Stock
I'm looking for another battery to replace my 4 1/2 year old PC680 and this is good timing.

·
Registered
113 Posts
johnT said:

In Stock
Sure -now ya tell me

·
Registered
576 Posts
As a datapoint, the Wërker brand battery sold at Batteries Plus is a ROTTEN fit to the LT. ;)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts