BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone: I have decided to take my abs unit apart and clean the pistons on my 200o k1200lt. My problem is I am trying to take the nuts off that are below the bleeder screws. Can anyone tell me the size of these nuts and the proper way to get them off.

Attachments

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
13,946 Posts
Here is a good article on it but no info on the size and I don't have one here to check.

Attachments

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks ,for sending me the article. I have the article and it is great but like you said we did not say the size of the nut. I think I need a thin wall socket.

Thanks for the help

·
Registered
5 Posts
I would try;
Measure the width of nut so you know what size socket you need, then grind some cheap socket down till it fits, no need to go buy a special thin wall one...

Regards,
Koen

·
Registered
594 Posts
Thanks ,for sending me the article. I have the article and it is great but like you said we did not say the size of the nut. I think I need a thin wall socket.

Thanks for the help
Yes. Definitely thin wall socket is needed. I had to have the socket machined to fit. Sorry but do not remember the size and no possibility now to get to the bike to measure the size of it or the socket.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Last month I also had to remove the ABS-pump. The 2 bolts gave me aan head ache.
In the end I used a nippers (is that the right word?). I uses new bolts (M6) when I reinstalled the pump.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Just to let everyone know the nut is a 22mm. I needed to grind the socket so it was thinner and then it fit. One thing more I had to do was to also grind the end so the socket so it could grip the nut easier. If you look at a socket it has about a 1/4 inch of metal before the socket grasps the nut.

Hope i am making some sense.

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Just to let everyone know the nut is a 22mm. I needed to grind the socket so it was thinner and then it fit. One thing more I had to do was to also grind the end so the socket so it could grip the nut easier. If you look at a socket it has about a 1/4 inch of metal before the socket grasps the nut.

Hope i am making some sense.
It is perfectly clear to me, I have had to face off many a socket to get maximum surface area on a nut. If you could give a measurement of the final diameter of the socket it would be helpful. Also did you use a deep socket or a standard? Six point I assume. BTW a lathe makes this operation quite easy.

Robert

·
Registered
242 Posts
BTW, if you can not find a 22mm, a 7/8 in socket will be "close enough", 22mm is not real common, but 7/8 in is very easy to find in the US.

·
Registered
193 Posts
22mm is pretty common in the Range Rover world. This was the lug size on my '04.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts