BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car
8,602 Posts
I would be worried about the weight rating for a "50" tire. Every 190/50 I find is NOT rated for the K1600, only the "55" is weight rated for the K1600.
The extra width of the 200 may also rub on the swing arm.

·
IBR# 366
16,572 Posts
Has anyone installed a 200 tire on a 1600?
I'm running a 205/50-17 car tire on my GTL. I measured it as 3/4" wider than the factory 190/55-17 rear tire when mounted, so I made a 3/8" shim to avoid clearance issues with the swingarm. That required the use of longer lug bolts, which were really difficult to find.

You'd have to fit the tire onto the K16's rim and see how wide it actually sits, but there's not a whole lot of clearance there to play with.

And, as Steve pointed out, do check the weight rating of the new tire . . .

·
Registered
7 Posts
I'm pretty sure Meese has. As I understand it you need a spacer plate and longer lug bolts to give yourself clearance from the sidearm.

·
IBR# 366
16,572 Posts

·
Registered
779 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, there goes that idea then. I dont think Ibwant tonuse spacers and longer bolts in there

·
IBR# 366
16,572 Posts
Well, there goes that idea then. I dont think I want to use spacers and longer bolts in there
BMW engineers these bikes with pretty tight tolerances, especially around the tires.

Honestly, there's little practical benefit to changing tire sizes, and if you go too far out you throw off the wheel speed sensors which messes with your ABS, cruise, traction control, and a whole host of other systems that use the wheel speed for internal calculations.

For most riders, it's just not worth it at all . . .

1 - 9 of 9 Posts