BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This came across in a MaxBMW Newsletter:

January 27th - See the 200,000 Mile LT and Congratulate its Rider

In 2005, Darrin Sandler bought a brand new K1200 LT from MAX BMW. It took him just over two years to log his first 100,000 miles and on January 27th, 2010, Darrin will be making history when he clocks his 200,000th mile while rolling into MAX BMW's North Hampton, NH location.

When you stop to consider what it takes to rack up 200K miles in 4 years (an average of 137 miles per day) and the fact that Darrin has ridden most of these miles on his way to and from work here in the Northeast, we think you'll agree that his accomplishment deserves to be celebrated.

In honor of Darrin's milestone, Saturday, January 27th will be a special day at MAX BMW. Max and Darrin will ride the final few miles to the shop together and we're inviting everyone to come and welcome them in. Witness what 200,000 miles looks like on the odometer on an LT, congratulate Darrin, and celebrate MAX BMW style with food and fun for all.

Welcome Darrin on January 27th, 2010!

Now that's a BMW Rider! I wonder how many FDs did he go through! :p

Attachments

·
Registered
322 Posts
I'm going to try to make it there .... I'll be sure to ask him.

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Congrats to Darrin; now thats riding

I will have 200k late 2010,(160 now) but it took me 8 years. 3 in chicago (winter slows you down) and now florida, the miles go up fast now, about 600 week plus yearly trips across the great USA.
Note: NO FD Trouble .

Zeke

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
Wow! Congrats! And I thought Ken rode a lot....well, he does, but geesh!

·
Registered
635 Posts
Congrats on quite an accomplishment. It is encouraging to read modern day BMW's achieving that kind of mileage.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Zeke has 160K, why wouldn't Darrin make 200K. I don't buy the "they all go bad" argument. Prefer to think some people just have bad karma. Waiting for my Rear Drive to break any day now that I've said that. :D

Bruce

·
Registered
45 Posts
congratulate Darrin and Zeke,

Any overhauling done for LT? I have one 2000LT only 20,500km, I do not when can drive up to 200,000 mile.

Danny
Hong Kong

·
Registered
2,571 Posts
WOW Congrats on the HUGE accomplishment! That's a lot of riding. I have about 250K miles total in all my years.

I'm thinking that this is great therapy - you may have hit on something. Perhaps there'll be something to help cover your costs in the new Health Care Plan! :D

·
Registered
62 Posts
I'm not at all surprised. I had a K100RT (same basic engine/gearbox as the LT) that I bought at 75k and did 100k on it. The clutch lasted nearly 100k, which is an indication of how well it was looked after. I did replace the final drive in that time, and went through lots of brake disks/pads. Servicing was done religously. Eventually something went and it wasn't worth repairing so was sold as scrap, which was a shame for so noble a bike.

A friend of mine had exactly the same bike, had the same issue that wrote mine off, but fixed it and went on to do 275k before he lost interest.

I am surprised to hear about the reliablility issues with the LT as the previous K's were steller. Mine's been perfect apart from the cruise control switch that the garage I bought it from fixed.

·
Premium Member
7,622 Posts
Kurtverbose said:
I'm not at all surprised. I had a K100RT (same basic engine/gearbox as the LT) that I bought at 75k and did 100k on it. The clutch lasted nearly 100k, which is an indication of how well it was looked after. I did replace the final drive in that time, and went through lots of brake disks/pads. Servicing was done religously. Eventually something went and it wasn't worth repairing so was sold as scrap, which was a shame for so noble a bike.

A friend of mine had exactly the same bike, had the same issue that wrote mine off, but fixed it and went on to do 275k before he lost interest.

I am surprised to hear about the reliablility issues with the LT as the previous K's were steller. Mine's been perfect apart from the cruise control switch that the garage I bought it from fixed.
So what is this mysterious "issue?" Inquiring minds want to know! ;)

·
Registered
62 Posts
Voyager said:
So what is this mysterious "issue?" Inquiring minds want to know! ;)
In all truth I never found out. My friend had it before me and was never good at explaining it and I never took it further to find out. From what I remember (this was nearly 15 years ago) the engine would run but with the oil light flickering and absolutely no drive. I phoned my mechanic guy and he said it's £500 to fix which was all the bike was worth.

·
Premium Member
7,795 Posts
Does anyone think that Darrin is smiling inside his brain bucket?

I wonder.. was ll maintenance done by the dealership?

Would like to know more about his riding style, throttle and clutch and gear control... maybe he "babied" it.. ?

Nahhhh..

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
Just goes to prove that the dark grey 05's were the best LT's ever built!! I hear he is still on his original tank of gas and this was done on the tires it came with. Back to reality now, it is quite an accomplishment.

·
Registered
65 Posts
rcoolbaugh said:
I'm going to try to make it there .... I'll be sure to ask him.
It took me 6 years (and one final drive repair) to go 223,500 on my new '99. Sold the bike to a friend, it caught fire 20k later. Sad ending to a noble machine.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts