BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My brake failure light says on when I first start the bike. Then after it warms up it goes out.

Also having trouble shifting in the cold. Will not shift to first. Once it engages all works fine.

Any suggestions.

·
Premium Member
1,882 Posts
I used to have that problem with the gears. I think I just slightly twist the throttle the very first time I go into 1st, while putting slight weight on the actuator. 2nd nature now

·
Premium Member
2011 R1200RT
8,178 Posts
378 said:
My brake failure light says on when I first start the bike. Then after it warms up it goes out.
When you start the bike the ABS system is waiting for you to start going, hence spinning the wheels, so it can test itself. Then the ABS failure light goes away (assuming all is well with your braking system). Same thing on some cars. Now if your ABS light stays on while driving you will need to look into it. Many threads on that subject, and more often than none the resolution is to add brake fluid in the rear reservoir, or your battery may have a low charge.

·
Registered
630 Posts
Let the clutch out a little bit and the bike will go into first easier.

·
Registered
2,916 Posts
378 said:

Also having trouble shifting in the cold. Will not shift to first. Once it engages all works fine.

Any suggestions.
Check the brake fluid. Mine did that once in the cold, and the rear brake thingy was low.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Two things to check

Contributors to the inability to shift into first gear can be that that transmission oil is a heavy viscosity (140) and the temperature is cold but probably the most likely one occurs if you have had the peg lowering kit installed and the shift linkage has been adjusted to lower the shift pedal. If this is the case a couple of threads shorter on the shift linkage will cause it to shift normally.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts