BMW Luxury Touring Community banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found a link on another forum that described a 2nd jack for an auxillary horn since the horn that came with my 2008 RT is so pitiful. I found the jack taped to the horizontal cross member of the front fairing, you can see it by removing the left mirror and looking down. My question is: I have a Fiam Freeway Blaster low tone that I want to add and theres a tab inside the fairing to accomodate this, however I hate to just cut the jack off and splice it in, anyone done this before and know if the other half of the jack is available from BMW or somewhere else?

thanks

Ron

·
Registered
2,952 Posts
I like your approach not cutting the connector off. The MAX parts fiche or if you know the number the search function will help you. The RT 05-09 has a large selection of connectors that are used on all the bikes if you know what it looks like. But here is what you are after. It also comes with some very cool shrink tube that when you heat it has a gel inside that makes a weather tight seal.
83 30 0 402 344 REPAIR PLUG, 2-PIN - NO. 610619 $13.07
One problem you may run into is that the power from your new horn may trip the circuit and only allow a quick tiny beep. Give it a try. You may need to install a relay system to allow full power demand from the battery or your aftermarket fuse block. I would test it all before final installation. I know the loud Stebel horn draws 28 amps! buena suerte

http://www.maxbmwmotorcycles.com/fiche/fiche.aspx

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
Buying the two BMW horns is less than $100--they were also used on various BMW cars and are therefore a high production number item, making them inexpensive. It's a really great upgrade. It's "two" because you replace your current horn, too. All plug and play, no issues. You can find information at realoem.com

·
Registered
144 Posts
I also went with the BMW horns. They are plenty loud and work without tripping the circuit protection. When I installed these to my 2011 the bike did not have the plug like the 2006 for the side horn. I purchased the BMW repair plug that fitted the horn and ran it from the original horn. Both have worked perfectly without any overload of the circuit. No need for relays or additional wiring.

·
Registered
169 Posts
gr8ridn said:
I also went with the BMW horns. They are plenty loud and work without tripping the circuit protection. When I installed these to my 2011 the bike did not have the plug like the 2006 for the side horn. I purchased the BMW repair plug that fitted the horn and ran it from the original horn. Both have worked perfectly without any overload of the circuit. No need for relays or additional wiring.
I'm one of those people who are tool challenged. If you remember part numbers, repair plug number and any helpful hints for this old guy with a pitiful horn I'd buy you a beer.

Well, assuming we eventually run into each other.

thanks in advance.

bob

·
Registered
144 Posts
OK Bob,
Part number for second horn plug is 83 30 0 402 342
Using this part splice the two wires to the plug leads and figure your wire length by routing from the left horn mounting tab ( 2011 still has this). Once this is figured tie into the existing two wires of the bikes single horn. You can use a posi-tap splice but I chose to solder to the OE horn wire just behind the connector at the horn. At all the splices I used heat shrink to seal and protect the splices. After this I cleaned up the work with OE style harness tape so the whole job is sealed and professional appearing. I don't think polarity is important for the horn, but I did match the pin wiring for the new horn.

This sounds a lot more complicated than it was. You need to have the BMW original dual horns to replace your pancake horn. I got the horns specified for the 2005 RT.

See you at Sedalia at the beer tent :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.