BMW Luxury Touring Community banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2 months ago, I installed a brand new Metzeller Marathon 880 V79 REINF rear tire, date code week 41 of 2011 that I purchased for only $180 thru South West Moto on my LT. After 1 month it was already showing subtantial dry rotting cracks in the center, bottom of the tread grooves. The dry rotting cracks only appeared in the bottom center of the grooves tread pattern and not in the sides or side walls. I hadn't washed the bike at all during those 2 months, let alone washed the tires with any solvents or rubber attacking anything. The front Metzeller tire is fine. Though I barely rode the bike at all during the last month, I put over 7k on it during that first month, riding from Braidwood IL to the Can. border near Vancouver, down the US Pacific coast to the Mex. border at Tijuana and then back again on a meandering way to Braidwood IL. My wife and I, with all our luggage were well under the weight limits and we stayed close to the proper tire inflation pressures. Last Saturday, while the bike was indoors, where it is normally kept, the tire went flat. Using soap bubbles, I found that it was leaking air at, only at, the deep dry rot cracks that are in those grooves.
Why did it degrade so fast? The only explaination I can think of is that during the desert section of the long ride, with the 119 F degree temperature (shown on the stock temp gauge) one day in the Mojave during the third week of July, or the 104 F all the way accross the plains states and back, that heat exposure might have done it. That rear tire still has > 0.141" of tread on it. That's 0.021" over the recommended min.
Even though, like I said, the front is fine, I'm replacing both tires with some brand new, Identical ones today that I ordered from Revzilla.
Who can give me some ideas of why this Dry rotting of just the rear happened?
Even the most smarta_s answers are most welcome.
Greg.

·
Premium Member
1,595 Posts
This is the second post this month with the same issue with a rear Metzler. IIRC the date code was simular. I would take photo's and write to Metzler to see if they would like to make an adjustment and also do the same with South West.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Hi Greg, as I said in this other Thread it could be the heat from the road transferred into the tire by 119 F. This is quite high for the rubber but it shouldnt be like that. Must keep his quality and his performance in any temperature on the roads.
But anyhow I would try to get a replacement or some money back for a new tire from Metzeler. And I think they will do that without any big games.

Manfred

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I haven't had the time to seriously look at this site for some months. I hadn't noticed that good thread by Mr. KDennis. My situation sounds like a complete Dejavu, right down to the # of and the length in mm of those cracks!!!!! I smell a rat!!!

·
Registered
593 Posts
I live in AZ and my bike is my only transportation. I also run Metzlers and have never had this problem, even after going to Vegas and back during July 4th, 117 plus, melted part of my dash but no problem with the tires.

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
15,068 Posts
119 for a tire is a low temperature. Mine often runs up in the 150 to 170s when loaded and high speed. No cracks.

·
Registered
795 Posts
Foiler said:
I live in AZ and my bike is my only transportation. I also run Metzlers and have never had this problem, even after going to Vegas and back during July 4th, 117 plus, melted part of my dash but no problem with the tires.
+1

In AZ it isn't uncommon to read 119 on my dash and no tire problem from the heat - of course I use BTs on mine because I can't stand the Metzlers, but seriously, I have 880's on my R1200c for mileage endurance and never had a problem with them failing from heat, just the usual tread separations etc that Metzlers always seem to have.

·
Premium Member
3,108 Posts
I have heard complaints of the quality in the Brazilian made tires vs. the German made. I doubt heat was any issue. Tires are cured at 350 to 400 degrees. It's more likely that what you are seeing is a larger issue of a bad batch of rubber which would affect literally thousands of tires. I suggest contacting the Metz people and telling them about it.

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
deanwoolsey said:
I have heard complaints of the quality in the Brazilian made tires vs. the German made. I doubt heat was any issue. Tires are cured at 350 to 400 degrees. It's more likely that what you are seeing is a larger issue of a bad batch of rubber which would affect literally thousands of tires. I suggest contacting the Metz people and telling them about it.

+1 Raise hell politely.

Robert

·
Registered
876 Posts
Yes Dean, I agree, likely to be a batch / plant related issue (based on relaibility and root cause principles). My tyre is a German made item, week 12 of year 2011. I intend to remove the SC4000 adhesive when I take the tyre off next week (another presently on the way, I must be a sucker for punishment), photograph and present a factual document to Eurotread Aust, who are the Metzeler importers here. My initial phone conversation with some tosser there was less than fruitful I must admit. At the end of the day I don't want a new free replacement tyre, though that would be nice, what I want is to feel safe and confident in using this product, and at present I'm struggling with that.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I just don't even feel like shipping the tire to Metzeller. But I'd like to foreward both of these threads about the dry rotting tires to them just to see what they think. how?

·
Premium Member
7,850 Posts
NCCCC1 said:
I just don't even feel like shipping the tire to Metzeller. But I'd like to foreward both of these threads about the dry rotting tires to them just to see what they think. how?
You should have the permission of each poster before sending their post to a third party.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Curing (vulcanizing) a rubber compound is much different than a particular compound's operating temperature limit.

I am leaning towards heat damage causing the cracking. The fact that the tire had seen many miles at ambient air temps of >115 F and highway surface temps probably well over >180F (depending on surface color). Add to this the normal temperature increase of a properly inflated tire, and you might have tire temps exceeding 250F. Plus, the LT is notoriously hard on its tires due to its weight.

Here are some good links which explain some of the issues with excessive heat.

HERE

HERE

I run the Metzler exclusively on my LT and I have been very happy with the overall performance and handling for over 40K miles (not on the same tires :rolleyes: ).

God Luck!

·
Registered
795 Posts
I'm going to have to stick with manufacturing defect here, I run tires in that kind of heat all the time whether on my bikes or in a car and have never had any problem like this until the tires are several years old and that is mostly from UV exposure which could not happen in 2 months. I'm pretty sure that Metzler has a QA problem on their hands, simple as that.

·
Registered
876 Posts
I tend to lean towards a suspected manufacturing quality problem with the Metzelers. There are plenty of these tyres on our bikes, all being ridden in various applications, hot, cold, heavily laden, trailers etc, so the sample is of a broad crossection of applications. Inherent problems with the product would have been well documented by now had the product been flawed. I'll be taking my latest issue back to the Aust metzeler inporter, but I'm happy for anyone to use my post as evidence. My description of the problem is true and factual, no problem with that. As I've stated previously, a refund/replacement isn't what I'm about, for me, it's about having confidence in the product.

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts
Voyager said:
You should have the permission of each poster before sending their post to a third party.
With email, I fully agree. But why the same with posts i a public forum? Not saying you are wrong, just interested in your perspective.

·
Premium Member
7,850 Posts
deputy5211 said:
With email, I fully agree. But why the same with posts i a public forum? Not saying you are wrong, just interested in your perspective.
I agree posts to a public forum aren't email. However, when I post here I am posting to a specific forum with a largely like-minded audience. I would not appreciate if posts I made here were randomly sent to other forums or audiences without my knowledge.

For example, if I posted here that I really like riding gloves made by company XYZ, I would not want want my post to be sent to them and then appear as an endorsement in an ad. Sure, I posted it publicly, but I posted it to inform a specific audience with common interests, I did not post it as an endorsement of a product.

It just seems common courtesy to me. Having said that, I am not aware of any forum rules against forwarding a thread to a company, but I think it would be very distasteful to do so.

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts
That makes perfect sense. I had not considered it that way before... glad I asked. Thank you for sharing.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts